my broody hen died

chicken delighted

Songster
8 Years
Mar 26, 2011
mesick,michigan
things you should know that i did not during this awful heat spell.
even with lots of water and feed around your broody she can still die of heat exhustion.i had notice that during the early part of the moring she did not seem her self so move her to a cooler spot. 10:00 am by 12:00 i notice bright green poo and was concrened . all this time she had been sitting by the water and a fan was on her. by evenig i decide to give her a cool bath with warm water they say cool would send her in to shock. after reading a articule form poultry magazine it was the only source that told me the green poo was a sign of heat exhustion. an anwers i had been looking for all day.she made it thur the night and agian we had a very hot day in the 90's. it was 80 at 9:00am before i left for work at 6:15 am we brouht her in and but her where the cool air from the air conditinor could get to her ( not blowing hard just a slight brezze from a fan . when i got home at 10:00 she stood up and growled at me when i pet her ( her broody growl) i gave her electorlight in the water all yesterday and night and today, gave her some poultry drench dilutited in water and thouht she would make it when i got home she was gone
hit.gif
mama was the best broody you would ever want she took on 6 chicks not her own + her 7 and rasied them altogether. she was a faverolle i will miss her growl and her loving spirit. darn i wish i was a chicken vet
hit.gif

i have 2 other broodies brooding please frezze 2 liter bottles of water and place them near your gals we find this also help cool them plus water melon and make sure they DRINK. we are giving every one electrlights till this heat spell pass and frezzing lots of 2 liter bottles.
i will miss my little sweet gal mama

I am so sorry to hear about your mama. I have a Momma who was my first broody hen. I have 7 broodies right now and I check on them many times throughout the day and make sure they are doing ok. I see them gettin up and drinking and pecking around for food. I lost several chickens last year and I dread the heat from this summer already.

I hope you maybe have a baby that is of the daughter of your mama hen.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

So sorry you lost your mama
sad.png
I didn't know about the frozen water bottles and watermelon and stuff I will be sure to keep these things around incase the heat starts to hurt ours too. We have been very warm here 90's for almost a week now and my 5 week olds look very tired from it. I change out their water frequently and they are in a shady airy place. (((hugs))) Im so sorry
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom