My Buff Orpington Ducks!! *Pictures*

Banties, the crested gene actually produces a skull deformity. If a developing duckling gets the gene from both parents, most die before they can hatch. Those that don't die in the egg hatch with their brains outside their skull or other nasty mutations.

Would the effect still be as bad even though the drakes crest is really small??

Not sure but I wouldn't want to take that chance.

I know you use to own a buff hen and I was wondering what age did she lay at??

I got her in December of 2008. She was hatched that Spring. She was giving me about 4-5 eggs a week by February/March if I remember correctly. The lack of light is most likely why she didn't lay sooner.

I am now waiting on her daughter (by a khaki drake) to start laying. Could be any time in the next couple of weeks.
fl.gif

I wonder if that is what my duck is. i got her from a swap and have no clue what she is????

13039_5968_1225640360508_1213980263_30680201_68771_n.jpg

She is the color of butterscotch, not the cheep kind.....LOL

Last edited:
My buff duck started laying at 5 months old, and has given me an egg everyday. only stopping after a hatch or when she was broody. She was a rescue , got her when she was about a month old. I have 4 buff crosses - not sure when they will start laying. They are from my april hatch and I have been noticing that all four of them pile into the dog house with Lil Mama ( My Buff ) when she lays her daily egg.

Sillystunt - Looks like a buff orp to me
smile.png

yeah.......
wee.gif
I am happy i have one. She has given me 2 eggs so far. If i breed her to an american duck....will i get some more like her? The other is a sweedish, i think.............................hahahahahah

I was told that the high qty egg laying gene is passed on by the drake. Something to keep in mind when breeding your buff. This is why I found a new home for my rouen drake and replaced him with a Welsh Harlequin drake.

I have pictures of Buff x Mallard, Buff x Domestic Bibbed Mallard, and Buff x Buffx Mallard If you'd like them sillystunt. Is the Swede a drake? If so, and you breed them, start a thread! That sounds like it would give us some interesting colors.

Quote:
would love to see them! Just curious~ I have a sweedish hen, buff hen and i believe a n american black duck. Wish he would stop being scared of the ladies
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom