My buff orpington hen is crowing! Could she be a hen or a rooster?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by stegohcorn, Aug 23, 2016.

1. stegohcorn

stegohcorn New Egg

Aug 23, 2016
    My 11 week old buff orpington, Ofelia, has started crowing sometimes in the morning. She's the biggest out of our 6 chickens and is at the top of the pecking order. I can't keep Ofelia if she's a rooster so I'm hoping if anyone can help and share any info they have?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You can rest easy, she's a hen! [​IMG] I've heard of dominant head hens crowing before, though I'm not exactly sure of the reason for it.

~Alex

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with Alex. Good luck to you!

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    At 11 weeks old, with a comb that red, Ofelia is most definitely a cockerel. The darker shade of buff through the wing, and the crowing are only further confirmation.

5. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    I'm no expert but she looks like a pullet to me. I had a Leghorn I thought was a rooster at about the same age due to long hackle feathers and a large, bright red comb but then she started laying. One of my Barred Rock hens started crowing until I got a rooster and then she quit. I think she was the dominant hen because she challenged the rooster as soon as I introduced him to the girls. Needless to say she's no longer top-chicken.

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Leghorns are known for maturing fast. Orpingtons, on the other hand, are not early to mature. They are one of the slower to develop breeds.

7. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh goodness, I didn't see that your Orp is 11 weeks old......so sorry about that! [​IMG] In that case, I agree with junebuggena. You've got a handsome cockerel on your hands!

~Alex

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

9. stegohcorn

stegohcorn New Egg

Aug 23, 2016
    Thanks to everyone for the help! I still hope that she's actually a she so I'm going to keep monitoring Ofelia. Also i forgot to mention that she used to be on baby chick feed that was suppose to help her grow faster so she can lay eggs faster. Dont know if that changes anything. I'll post some more pics in a week or two for more feedback.[​IMG]

10. TWK777

TWK777 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2016
    I would not worry about it, its a hen. I have three hens that crow from time to time, especially when they are upset [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by