My buff orpington hen is crowing! Could she be a hen or a rooster?

stegohcorn

Hatching
Aug 23, 2016
My 11 week old buff orpington, Ofelia, has started crowing sometimes in the morning. She's the biggest out of our 6 chickens and is at the top of the pecking order. I can't keep Ofelia if she's a rooster so I'm hoping if anyone can help and share any info they have?

I'm no expert but she looks like a pullet to me. I had a Leghorn I thought was a rooster at about the same age due to long hackle feathers and a large, bright red comb but then she started laying. One of my Barred Rock hens started crowing until I got a rooster and then she quit. I think she was the dominant hen because she challenged the rooster as soon as I introduced him to the girls. Needless to say she's no longer top-chicken.

I'm no expert but she looks like a pullet to me. I had a Leghorn I thought was a rooster at about the same age due to long hackle feathers and a large, bright red comb but then she started laying. One of my Barred Rock hens started crowing until I got a rooster and then she quit. I think she was the dominant hen because she challenged the rooster as soon as I introduced him to the girls. Needless to say she's no longer top-chicken.
Leghorns are known for maturing fast. Orpingtons, on the other hand, are not early to mature. They are one of the slower to develop breeds.

Thanks to everyone for the help! I still hope that she's actually a she so I'm going to keep monitoring Ofelia. Also i forgot to mention that she used to be on baby chick feed that was suppose to help her grow faster so she can lay eggs faster. Dont know if that changes anything. I'll post some more pics in a week or two for more feedback.

I would not worry about it, its a hen. I have three hens that crow from time to time, especially when they are upset
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom