1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My "Busy" Color Squares Lap Quilt

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by speckledhen, Sep 18, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I must have started this quilt six or seven years ago. I'd quilt some, put it up on a shelf and take it out a couple times a year, then put it back. I took it out again today.

It's all 8" blocks, set without sashing or any regard for a particular color scheme. The "busy" nature of it makes you look at each block separately. I saw a much larger version of one up on a quilt shop wall and it was really interesting so I decided to make one in a smaller size.

I usually sell things I make, but this one will just stay here to wrap up in this winter. After developing carpal tunnel and possibly Rheumatoid Arthritis (testing now), it's hard to hand quilt alot. My wonderful friends bought me a computerized Brother machine and I was quilting some of the lines today with it. It's almost done and I'll bind it with black bias binding. Please ignore the ugly wallpaper I keep trying to find time to remove from my bedroom wall, LOL

[​IMG]

2. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Pretty quilt -- wish I knew how to do that!

3. speckledhen

It's really not hard. I never knew how to use a machine, so it took me forever to make a quilt. I like doing smaller projects much better.

4. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    [​IMG]..Just love it..mainly because the "business" makes you look at each block..I find I get sooo caught up in color coordinating that I miss out on the design etc.

Thanks for sharing!!!

5. speckledhen

Just proves that quilts do not have to be perfect to be great. The parallel lines on this one are not even really parallel, not the same distance apart. It's a busy quilt in design, color and every other way.

6. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    That is really neat! I am thinking about starting to do some quilting, but haven't quite figured out where to start yet.

7. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    You know, you are right, by making each block look different, you get to enjoy looking at them. Kinda like a friendship quilt.

I like it.

8. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I LOVE it. It has character!! My wonderful neighbor lady made our family of 5 a 'big' quilt that we can all get under when we watch t.v on those rare occasions. Some of us are growing bigger now and not all the siblings want to sit next to one another when there are other comfy sofas.

9. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I like that Cynthia!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Thank you, Darlene. It was fun to do. Can't get bored when every block is different, can you? 8" blocks are really the smallest I like to work with. That is one tip: if you are just starting out, the larger blocks are easier to handle, and without too many pieces per block, minimum 12"- No tiny pieces to try to fit together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by