My Button Quail Eggs

Discussion in 'Quail' started by BirdBoy88, Sep 17, 2008.

1. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Hey [​IMG]

My buttons are finally laying..well i have 4 hens and 5 males

i have the 4 hens in the aviary but i only left 2 males in the aviary with the hens..and the 2 males that are in there are calm males... the other males were more aggressive with the hens

So anyways i have 4 hens but so far only one hen is laying.. she lays her egg in the nest box every evening on time..lol

I have been collecting her egg everyday i have 5 eggs now

i want to incubate her eggs to see if there fertile but i want to have at least 10 eggs before i put them in the bator

My question is....

Will my eggs still be fresh if i keep collecting them till i got 10? will they all be able to incubate

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yes.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I have left bobwhite eggs in the nest, jumbled in the corner of the pen, for 40-50 days... every one has hatched.
    [​IMG] 10 days is nuthin.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I have left bobwhite eggs in the nest, jumbled in the corner of the pen, for 40-50 days... every one has hatched.
    [​IMG] 10 days is nuthin.

[​IMG] that makes me so happy

Thanks Tori [​IMG]

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Only too happy to enable...er, I mean, help! Yeah, that's it! [​IMG]

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    woah tori! 40-50 days seriously!?!?! How long doyou think is TOO long to store eggs? *amazed* [​IMG]

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I'm not sure where I read it, but I think it was for Bobwhites or Coturnix, they actually said it was best to let them sit for 5 days before setting them. I haven't tried holding the BW eggs that long and then trying to ship them, and now she's not laying anymore. [​IMG] For optimum hatchability, I think the norm is 10-14 days, max.

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I'm not sure where I read it, but I think it was for Bobwhites or Coturnix, they actually said it was best to let them sit for 5 days before setting them. I haven't tried holding the BW eggs that long and then trying to ship them, and now she's not laying anymore. [​IMG] For optimum hatchability, I think the norm is 10-14 days, max.

5 days is great, and knowing that the max is around 10-14 is even better because once my coturnix start laying i'd perfer to put in a lot all at one time not a few everday lol! I'm having so many studdered hatches now as it is it's driving me insane! LOL!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by