My button Quail (HELP!)

not all males have bibs and females have bibs at times. Indicator of gender is based on vent coloration. Light pink is male. Red on bird is male.

The gender indicator on cbbq is the red. Females do not have red. Been breeding these guys for quite some time. I recommend vent sexing if you want to test it out.

Be patient. They should start laying any time. Trouble is they slow down laying this time of year so it could take some time for her to start.

Yes male has the bib. And both will "talk" although the male is usually loudest.

Yes, the silver variations have pink vent feathers.

Normal red breasted, blue breasted males have darker red on their breast and vents

Blue face have a dark red on their vent.

Females do not have this indicator.

Males have bibs but not all males do. Some like the one pictured is a male. Females look identical but no pink feathers on the vent. Hip spacing is another tell tale. females have wider hip spacing and males do not.

There is no mahogany in button quail color variations. We have normal blue breasted, normal red breasted, cinnamon red breasted, cinnamon, cinnamon pearl, pearl variations, silver variations (blue face silver, silver red breasted, silver pearl), blue face (double and single factors), tuxedo pied, pied, white, fallow, and a few others.

The gender indicator on cbbq is the red. Females do not have red. Been breeding these guys for quite some time. I recommend vent sexing if you want to test it out. 

my friends friend imported all the colors we have today and profected them some females do have red vents i personally dont have any that do but my friend has one. but for the most part you are right but there are females that do. he has been breeding exotic birds and quail for 30+ years. i planning on getting some feather legged button quail soon. aldo you forgot many colors as there are 50 + colors or are you just telling the main colors because there are black, blue splash, buff, cream, cuckoo, darth vader, smoky, ivory, slate,caramel, dilute, fawn, curly,australian pied, and there are still ones i havent metioned

sorry if i sound rude i only wish to educate, but the man i mentioned brought over the first button quail colors we have he has a site but i didnt write it down and have now forgotten, its full of useful info on them

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom