My Carolina Coop

That awesome!!!! I would love to have a coop like that! How much did it cost you to make?!
I’m not real sure because, I built it over nine months or so and never really kept track of it. If I had to guess I’d say around 9-10k. That’s a chunk, but a lot of it was that cutting board material for the bottom and sides of the coop/egg hutches(and I have a lot extra). That was something like $600 with shipping. And then that black 1/2” hardware cloth was another $500 (and I’ve got almost a full roll extra I’m going to use to make a quail coop). The roof we got to match our house was almost $1,500 and that automatic chicken door was maybe $350 (I think). Also, I used better lumber throughout.

You can definitely build it cheaper than I did but I rationalized it thinking it will last longer than me.

I have many pictures during construction (I built it in the barn in 15 different pieces). If you have any interest in seeing them.

I’m not real sure because, I built it over nine months or so and never really kept track of it. If I had to guess I’d say around 9-10k. That’s a chunk, but a lot of it was that cutting board material for the bottom and sides of the coop/egg hutches(and I have a lot extra). That was something like $600 with shipping. And then that black 1/2” hardware cloth was another $500 (and I’ve got almost a full roll extra I’m going to use to make a quail coop). The roof we got to match our house was almost $1,500 and that automatic chicken door was maybe $350 (I think). Also, I used better lumber throughout.

You can definitely build it cheaper than I did but I rationalized it thinking it will last longer than me.

I have many pictures during construction (I built it in the barn in 15 different pieces). If you have any interest in seeing them.
You are so handy! such a great coop, Must have been so worth it and so happy to look at it completed

You did the right thing in building your own coop and using
their design as your template. It allowed you to able to customize it exactly to fit your needs. I did the same thing, when I built my coop and run. Who cares how much it cost. It's once and done and you'll never have to continually repair it, because it wasn't built right in the first place. You're to be congratulated on a job well done, and your birds will be totally spoiled.
But that was the reason for building it in the first place. We all want happy birds.

Make an article for that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/chicken-coops.12/ - I'm sure a lot of folks would like to see how to construct something similar for themselves. :)

Just what I was going to say!

If you're willing to share your design it would be wonderful to have a coop article about it. :)

Back
Top Bottom