My cat just had a seizure?

Kaitie09

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2009
South Central, PA
I don't totally know what it was. She just became unresponsive, and she was making a "clicking" noise, with some twitching/shaking. It only lasted maybe 30 seconds, and then she was fine. I stood her up, and she had no balance issues, and her pupils were fine. The only difference was that she was breathing a little heavier. She actually is scheduled for a rabies booster on Friday, so I am going to bring this up to the vet. Does it seem like it was a seizure, or a stoke of some sort?

She is 8 or 9yrs old, spayed, and has been an indoor cat her entire life.

eta: Could she just have been in a deep sleep and had a nightmare type of thing? She was laying down at the time, but I wasn't paying much attention to her until the clicking. I did shake her, but she did not wake up during that time. Might she have been in a REM sleep and just did not register me shaking her?

Last edited:
Does sound like a possible grand mal seizure to me. Short, non-responsive, recovered quickly. Did you smell anything funny afterwards by chance? Definitely mention it to the vet. They typically won't do anything for one seizure, but will want you to monitor to see if it happens again. Seizure causes tend to vary by likeliness according to age. Try looking up youtube videos for things like "cat seizure", "cat spasm", "cat fit", etc to see if you can find something that looks similar. That really helped me figure out my dog was having petite mals, and to know what to video record for the vet.

It sounds like she was probably asleep and having a dream. Maybe she was chasing another cat or trying to catch a bird in her dream. She was probably breathing hard for the same reason we do when we wake up from a weird dream, it seemed real. If she is acting normal now, I wouldn't worry too much, but I would definitely mention it to the vet.

I had a cat with epilepsy when I was a kid, she died shortly after I left for college. It was like what you described, but she always peed and frothed at the mouth when she had one. The vet will probably just tell you to keep an eye on her and let them know if it happens again so they can prescribe meds. Our cat had to be pilled daily. They made her extremely loopy for a couple hours after taking it, but seemed to control the seizures very well.

The vet was not too concerned. She said to just watch in case it happened again. She was not sure if it was a seizure, or if she was just in a deep sleep. Overall she is extremely healthy for a 9yr old.

Nothing to worry about unless it starts to happen frequently. My cat started them before she was even a year old and she was having them at least once a week, sometimes every other day. Definitely a problem in her case! I hope you never see it again!

I had a dog that was having seizures 2-3 times a week and they were scary. I remember he would be paralyzed for close to 30 minutes after. Sadly, we found out it was a brain tumor and he died the day before he was scheduled to be put down. That is why I was so freaked out when it happened to the cat.

Back
Top Bottom