My chick’s wing is hurt! Bone exposed?? Please help!

4 Georgia Hens

Crowing
Jan 3, 2017
Northern Georgia
Hey y’all! So something just happened to one of my bantam Cochin chicks. My sister roughly pulled her through a gap in our fence, leaving her wing behind her. The wing is still attached but I’m really at a loss for what to do. From the looks of it, a big chunk of feathers have been pulled off of the bone. It is bloody, but not actively bleeding. Also, the chick seems to be doing pretty well. She was walking around and is right now resting in a hay filled laundry basket. She is really quiet and calm so I’m assuming that she is not in huge amounts of pain. As I’ve said before, I’m at a complete loss. I don’t know how I can fix this situation. Please help with any advice or information you can give. Thank you in advance.
5153989B-C28D-4F6F-A09C-9599CC308785.jpeg
82E3C624-136D-4734-9DC4-FE5EE551C7D2.jpeg
CE4160F9-1AB0-4331-BE56-A968DB137EB6.jpeg

Clean it! I personally would bring her in and set her up in her own box with water and food until it scabs over better. I think neosporin is ok. The thing that will be an issue is other chicks trying to peck at the wound and infection. I am a first time chicken owner though so I'm not 100% sure....that is what I would do.

How old is your sister was it just a stupid mistake or is it a maturity issue? If it is a maturity issue etc I would be very cautious and supervise extra anytime she wants to visit the chickens.

Wishing speedy recovery!

Clean it! I personally would bring her in and set her up in her own box with water and food until it scabs over better. I think neosporin is ok. The thing that will be an issue is other chicks trying to peck at the wound and infection. I am a first time chicken owner though so I'm not 100% sure....that is what I would do.

How old is your sister was it just a stupid mistake or is it a maturity issue? If it is a maturity issue etc I would be very cautious and supervise extra anytime she wants to visit the chickens.

Wishing speedy recovery!
It definitely was a maturity issue. We are limiting her access to the babies from now on. I am about to and clean the wound now. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
It definitely was a maturity issue. We are limiting her access to the babies from now on. I am about to and clean the wound now. Thank you for your help!
I have dealt with many wounds of this type. They heal very quickly and easily. Just wash/clean the wound and apply iodine or any other kind of antiseptic. Keep the wound clean and dry. separate the chick and keep it in a dry and warm please until healed

Back
Top Bottom