My Chick Choir

ncgnance

Songster
12 Years
Aug 22, 2007
Iredell County, NC
My 3 week old silkies and cochins do something really weird that none of my other biddies have ever done. I have one chick that always starts this, and he/she will start chirping, really loudly, and then all of them will join in. It is so loud, it hurts my ears. When I look in the box, they're all standing in a group, not huddled up, all looking one way, and taking time about chirping. They don't sound scared, just loud. I don't know how long this would last, as I usually get them to stop. Maybe some of you who have silkies or cochins know what they're doing. It seems like some kind of pack "ritual." Maybe they think they're wolves...LOL

Does it sound something like this..."buck, buck buck, buuuuuccccckkkkkkk". If it does then that is an alarm cry. My chickens do that when one of them senses danger and they all run for cover and then they are all making that sound.

No, it doesn't sound like an alarm chirp at all. In fact, it sounds almost melodious, like a CHIRRUP, but it's hard to explain. And they're all standing there just looking at the side of the box...

I don't have a video camera, but that would be great if I could. Maybe I can borrow one when I go home....It IS cute, but more than that, it seems mysterious to me. Like I said, its hard to explain....

Reminds me of Jurassic Park 2 where the velociraptors do this when the chopper is coming! Is there a chopper in your area?
wink.png
Steph

Quote:
You know what, that's exactly what they remind me of, sometimes. These cochin biddies will stretch out their necks and almost stand on their tippy toes and look up at me, kinda scary...I'm glad they're not bigger. they do that when they're "singing", too. My other biddies didn't act like these.

I don't have a camcorder either, but I can do short video clips on my digital camera & then load those up onto photobucket to share. It has worked quite well.

Back
Top Bottom