1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Chick Choir

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ncgnance, May 24, 2008.

1. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    My 3 week old silkies and cochins do something really weird that none of my other biddies have ever done. I have one chick that always starts this, and he/she will start chirping, really loudly, and then all of them will join in. It is so loud, it hurts my ears. When I look in the box, they're all standing in a group, not huddled up, all looking one way, and taking time about chirping. They don't sound scared, just loud. I don't know how long this would last, as I usually get them to stop. Maybe some of you who have silkies or cochins know what they're doing. It seems like some kind of pack "ritual." Maybe they think they're wolves...LOL

2. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Does it sound something like this..."buck, buck buck, buuuuuccccckkkkkkk". If it does then that is an alarm cry. My chickens do that when one of them senses danger and they all run for cover and then they are all making that sound.

3. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    No, it doesn't sound like an alarm chirp at all. In fact, it sounds almost melodious, like a CHIRRUP, but it's hard to explain. And they're all standing there just looking at the side of the box...

4. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    Can you get a video of them doing this?

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I think you may have a 10,000.00 wiiner on America's Funniest Home Video CHICKIE CHOIR!

Sounds cute to me.

6. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I don't have a video camera, but that would be great if I could. Maybe I can borrow one when I go home....It IS cute, but more than that, it seems mysterious to me. Like I said, its hard to explain....

7. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Reminds me of Jurassic Park 2 where the velociraptors do this when the chopper is coming! Is there a chopper in your area? [​IMG] Steph

8. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Quote:You know what, that's exactly what they remind me of, sometimes. These cochin biddies will stretch out their necks and almost stand on their tippy toes and look up at me, kinda scary...I'm glad they're not bigger. they do that when they're "singing", too. My other biddies didn't act like these.

9. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    I don't have a camcorder either, but I can do short video clips on my digital camera & then load those up onto photobucket to share. It has worked quite well.

10. ncgnance

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Thanks, I'll try that!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by