My chick doesn’t like to be held

but I just want him comfortable with me when I pick him up if something happens etc
Definitely a male.
If you plan on keeping him, I would not handle him much at all.
I handle my birds off the roost at night for exams, females way more than the male, to get them used to me touching them.

I have a chick called Pippin and whenever I pick him up or stroke him, he makes a high pitch like “scream” sound. Do I just need to get him used to being picked up and get him to trust me or shall I just not pick him up anymore so I don’t make him stressed???
Be very careful with Mr. Pippin. The more you stroke him, the calmer, gentler, and quieter he will become. Just saying... beware the consequences of your actions... P/S I can feel the love already.

Be very careful with Mr. Pippin. The more you stroke him, the calmer, gentler, and quieter he will become. Just saying... beware the consequences of your actions... P/S I can feel the love already.
Until the hormones start flowing then all bets are off and you may have just created a monster.

So if I tame Pippin and keep stroking him, it is a higher chance of him being vicious?
No keep petting him! I had a rooster he never got pet and attacked me and the hens all the time! All he was was a problem, I had to give him lots of attention to get him to stop!

So if I tame Pippin and keep stroking him, it is a higher chance of him being vicious?
It is a higher chance that he will not respect you and if he decides he must dominate you, he will try. It's not fun. Trust me.
I personally do not pick up birds unless it is to remove them from nest boxes at roost time or to do health checks at night. If I sit down and someone jumps up in my lap or the arm of the chair and allows me to touch them, fine. Otherwise, I just watch their normal behavior and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom