My chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chkngurl, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Chkngurl

Chkngurl New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    HI Everyone,
    Last week Friday we picked up our 4 chicks. Each of them are different breeds. we noticed on Sunday ( 2 days later) that one chick was being pecked at right above both her eyes. They did get little sores in that area. I separated her. I then bought a red heat lamp and put her with another yellow chick. The other two are darker birds that are on another side of a bin.

I noticed yesterday that the injured chick wouldn't open her right eye... and the left eye was fully opened. Today both eyes are shut. The injured chick is doing well.. eating drinking and seems fine other than her eyes. Can I do anything to see if they will open? Or can a chicken survive not seeing out their eyes? Thoughts would be appreciated.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Try applying a little ophthalmic ointment to both eyes.

3. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    2X!

Vetericyn eye ointment is available at Tractor Supply and probably your local feed store... if not, you can order it online. :)

Absent of that, I'd put a little Neosporin (without pain relief) on her to prevent any bacterial infection if she has a little peck wound somewhere.

Let us know and [​IMG] [​IMG]!!

MrsB

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  5. Chkngurl

Chkngurl New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    Update... first would like to say thank you for your quick response.
    Secondly... I ended up putting neosporin on both eyes. Both eyes immediately opened. What a difference that made for her. :)

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG] That's great news!

-Kathy

7. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Makes my eyes water, but I'm glad it worked for you!!

I hope she grow up to live a long, happy life! :D

MrsB

8. Chkngurl

Chkngurl New Egg

Apr 5, 2016
    Thank you! When I was able to help her my eyes teared too. She's doing great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by