My chick

Chkngurl

Hatching
Apr 5, 2016
HI Everyone,
Last week Friday we picked up our 4 chicks. Each of them are different breeds. we noticed on Sunday ( 2 days later) that one chick was being pecked at right above both her eyes. They did get little sores in that area. I separated her. I then bought a red heat lamp and put her with another yellow chick. The other two are darker birds that are on another side of a bin.

I noticed yesterday that the injured chick wouldn't open her right eye... and the left eye was fully opened. Today both eyes are shut. The injured chick is doing well.. eating drinking and seems fine other than her eyes. Can I do anything to see if they will open? Or can a chicken survive not seeing out their eyes? Thoughts would be appreciated.

Try applying a little ophthalmic ointment to both eyes.

2X!

Vetericyn eye ointment is available at Tractor Supply and probably your local feed store... if not, you can order it online. :)

Absent of that, I'd put a little Neosporin (without pain relief) on her to prevent any bacterial infection if she has a little peck wound somewhere.

Let us know and
welcome-byc.gif
yippiechickie.gif
!!

MrsB

Last edited:
Update... first would like to say thank you for your quick response.
Secondly... I ended up putting neosporin on both eyes. Both eyes immediately opened. What a difference that made for her. :)

Update... first would like to say thank you for your quick response.
Secondly... I ended up putting neosporin on both eyes. Both eyes immediately opened. What a difference that made for her.
smile.png

Makes my eyes water, but I'm glad it worked for you!!

I hope she grow up to live a long, happy life! :D

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom