My Chicken attacked by my puppy today...need advice

JasonandSara

Hatching
9 Years
May 13, 2010
One of our 2 year old laying hens was attacked by our 10 week old lab today. He has been getting increasingly aggressive towards the chickens....we found teh chicken laying face down in the grass with the dog chewing on a wing. It was seemingly lifeless besides a feew twitches. My wife thought it was dead. I came out and picked the chicken up and discovered it was still breathing but not moving and had its eyes closed...its neck has a small laceration and is limp, perhaps broken or damaged. We layed her down in our bathroom floor wrapped up. she is laying still, but breathing. She will not eat or drink. Any advice on what to do from here would be helpful as we are fairly new to chicken raising and this is our first time dealing with an issue like this?

I am sorry. It is hard when an animal you love attacks another animal that you love, or at least care about. I have had it happen more than once.
sad.png

All you can do is keep her warm and quiet in a dark place and see if she comes around. If she does you need to give her some water and some treats. They seem to like cooked eggs quite a bit. If you can get her to eat and drink she has a chance. I would clean her wounds and put some antibiotics on them, but nothing with "caine" in the name. Also, chickens can take aspirin for pain, I am not sure of the dose.

I hope she comes through, they can be tough sometimes, and other times not so tough.
hugs.gif

I have lost birds to border collies, labs, german shepherds, and dalmatians. It seems that the just want to chase things that run. Your lab is a water/bird dog so it only comes naturally. I hope you have a way to keep them apart. That is what I have to do at my place.

I am so sorry this happened. I just lost four hens to a stray dog and it was so sad. Dogs tend to shake their prey quite vigorously to kill them. It sounds like that is what happened to your chicken. I'm sorry, but it does not sound good. Do you know if there is a vet willing to see her?

Try some sugar water. Use a syringe if you need to. I would have believe that it could make a difference, but it does. It helps with the shock.

Back
Top Bottom