My chicken coop

Here's my hot climate article: Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

In your climate you'd do very well to take out the interior walls to turn it into an Open Air style coop. That being a roofed wire box with a 3-sided shelter on one end.

I've actually got two for sale cockerels in a version made from a dog crate right now so you can see the concept (I'm moving it around like a tractor rather than try to keep bedding fresh).

View attachment 3537428

*Technically* it's exactly 4 square feet each for the two of them, but you can see how cramped they look.

View attachment 3537431

Neuchickenstein, the big coop in the article is an Open Air design. Camp Cockerel is another -- this time a lightweight, low-security facility for temporarily housing the for-sale birds. I actually had birds in the "winterized" version through all but the two coldest months here in North Carolina even though we had the NC version of a severe winter.
I like it. After your pointers today I actually went and had a closer look and before next summer will remove some panels relace with fine mesh wire and increase the ventilation. Love the open-air coop you have there. Very Good tips!

Back
Top Bottom