1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

My Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BigBuckSnort, Sep 9, 2009.

1. BigBuckSnort

BigBuckSnort In the Brooder

Sep 8, 2008
    Here are some pics of my Home Made Coop. I seen a picture of a coop like this one online for over $400. It took me maybe 6-7 hours total to build and cost around $100. I just added the 'dog kennel run' yesterday. We let our dogs roam free so it was just sitting there, and I felt like our chickens would be happier w/ a lil more space.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one side of the roof comes off to see 2nd story- roosts & nest box
    [​IMG]

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    That looks really good and looks a lot like mine that I got from Freecycle (see my BYC page) except mine doesn't have the upper level (yet - you gave me an idea!) What are the dimensions of the base?

3. BigBuckSnort

Sep 8, 2008
    those pics are small, huh?

[​IMG]

4. BigBuckSnort

Sep 8, 2008
    I think the Base is 6'x4'

Here is a bigger pic of the inside.

[​IMG]

5. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Great Coop! Nice job. [​IMG]

I would continue on up with the smaller hardware clothe however as a racoon will make short work of the chicken wire and that will be a horrible end for your chickies. Or else run a hot wire around the coop and the run....

Just suggestions from my experiences with those dratted killer racoons.

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Great job and saved $$$$$. Probably sturdier too. The dog kennels seem a great solution....wish I had one. Checked a used one the other day but it was not in good shape [​IMG] I can 'recycle an X-Pen though but it will not be as tall....... And I second the suggestion re hardware cloth....just to be safe

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by