My chicken diary... One chick's journey

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Amiti, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Amiti

Amiti Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    While learning about cock birds I realized I didnt have enough girls, so.....

Time for another remodel.

2. Amiti

Jan 25, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Well, life has been crazy, and havent had much time to get on the internet, so I made a few mistakes because I didnt do enough reading ahead of time.

I got 3 more birds at a swap meet.

2 pullets, Nixi is a game bird & Selene is the mottled blue ameraucana

[​IMG]

3. Amiti

Jan 25, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    My other bird is a blue egg layer named Brigit. I have had to nurse her back to health. She was badly overbred, covered in lice, and had a resp. infection. She almost died, but is doing great now.

This picture is right after I got her. She was all puffed up. I will get a current picture soon. She looks better every day.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  4. Amiti

Jan 25, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    In another week or two, I will put the 3 new birds in the run with my hens and Helios....

Im nervous....

5. Serenity06

Serenity06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    South Alabama

That's good that you nursed her back to health. :) She looks kind of like my Easter Egger, Ellie.

[​IMG]

6. Amiti

Jan 25, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    She really kinda does even more now that she isn't all puffy.

I will add a new pic after my next post in a minute. I have a story to tell... [​IMG]

7. Amiti

Jan 25, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    So... My latest newbie blunder....

I put my new birds in temporary pens next to my other birds about a week ago and everything was fine. Till this morning. I go out to feed my birds and next to Brigit's cage (the one ive been nursing) is a pile of her feathers! Something tried to get her! She likes to roost right next to the edge if the pen. I never thought about it because the wire is only an inch wide. So now my poor Brigit is missing more feathers.

8. Amiti

Jan 25, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Well, I have no more extra building supplies at tge moment and i have to do something.... So here is what i did....

I let my old flock free range (do most days) and went to work.

Added new hidey holes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thats not as full of pine shavings as it looks.
    [​IMG]

I added a new roost.
    [​IMG]

Some toys.
    [​IMG]

I also added fresh bedding to scratch around in and added another nest box in the broody hut, three more waterers and two more feed dishes.

9. Amiti

Jan 25, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Now the new birds are in there getting used to the new digs. I plan to let the old birds back in closer to sunset and give them a bunch of black oil sunflower seeds as they are a favorite. Hopefully all goes .

10. Amiti

Jan 25, 2016
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Update on Brigit.... She has more than doubled her weight! When i got her she probably dudnt weight much more than a pound. Now i bet she weighs close to 3!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see the feathers she lost from overbreeding ate growing back - it was bare. But now she is missing new ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by