My chicken diary... One chick's journey

Just a quick update. Im out of data amd my intenet is soooo slow.

The new chickens are doing ok. No major issues. The chicks mostly hide from the grown ups and Brigit is still a little skittish. Will upload more pics when i get more data on my phone.

Hello everybody! Sorry it's been a few days. I had my grandsons for a few days. They are 3 & 1. I had less than no time. Lol....

But i will try to update my flock news now.
1f414.png

I am so pleased to announce that Brigit, the hen i nursed back from the edge of death, is doing wonderful and has begun laying again. 2 eggs in 2 days! I thought they looked kind of green, but the inside of the shell is the same color as the outside and my understanding is that means its blue.

Last edited:
All of my chickens seemed to be doing fine. No runny beaks or eyes or breathing noises or anything. Everything seemed fine..... But it wasnt.

Last edited:
My beautiful mottled blue ameraucana, Selene died. All of a sudden i could hear her breath. No signs or symptoms from any of them. I started her on antibiotics right away. She had been given 4 doses of Tylan and died in my arms 3 minutes after her 4th dose in 2 days.

I cried.

So, my first bird death has me rattled. Im not sure what happened. I blamed myself. Thought if i caught it sooner or did something different. They were free ranging when we had a very warm summer-like afternoon rain and she may have gotten wet. My daughter told me that some birds have weak genes and die.

I dont know what to think.

So, my poor little Nixi was being picked on. She wasnt being allowed to eat or drink so i pulled her out of the grown up pen. I got some new babies that are close to her size and will be putting them together soon. The new babies are easter eggers i got from some menonites. They had a lovely farm with very well cared for flock. I am confident they are healthy.

They are younger than Nixi but are almost as big. She is a game bird so she will be a smaller bird. I hope it goes ok....

Btw... Did you notice my chicken math.... One bird dies, buy four.

Im frustrated with not being able to put up pics! So i will describe my new babies. About 7 weeks old. Still dont have all their head and neck feathers. They seem big for that age. But i dont know, never raised chicks before. One has a brown n gold wild type feather patter. The other three are very similar and range in color from white and light yellow cream to almost an orange yellow. So pretty! Some feathers looked spotted, some striped.

Back
Top Bottom