My chicken has a beard...is it hen or rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by scoutchicken, Feb 9, 2014.

1. scoutchicken

scoutchicken New Egg

Jun 19, 2013
    We have two mature Americauna hens and recently got a third, but this one has a BEARD!! Now I'm wondering if we ended up with a rooster by mistake? If not, is there something wrong with her, or do some just grow beards? She looks exactly like Cutie (almost hawk-like coloration) except for THIS! ****!! Can't post a picture from my kindle:( any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You can't post a photo because you don't yet have 10 posts. Beards are something we bred into chickens, not natural to the wild ones, and not gender specific. Chickens with beards have them in both genders, and chickens without beards have no beards in either gender. Even baby bearded chickens have beards, lol. It's just a breed trait.

1 person likes this.
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Ameraucanas and most Easter Eggers have beards and muffs. It's not gender specific--I love my bearded ladies!
    From your description of hawk-like, I'm thinking you have Easter egger pullets. Pics when you're able would help confirm.

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    I agree

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x3
    Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by