My chicken has a bone that is showing through her skin!

Shaqnadal

In the Brooder
May 22, 2022
My chicken has a bone showing through her chest area more towards the sternum I believe. I have researched a lot and haven’t been able to find what to do. I was going to get ointment for it and apply it around the area. She is in a cage away from the flock as they were being violent with her as she is weak and not able to move around much. She has not had a big appetite or been in the mood to drink a lot of water either. Attached a photo of what it looks like,

just curious will this heal and will she get better Or is this something that may affect her for life and she will never be the same?
Also is there anything I can do to help her heal? Just totally unsure what to do here my 18 chickens have never broken a bone so this is new for me!

Attachments

• 82BCFABC-438D-49C6-8F58-20D560E6C64A.jpeg
    82BCFABC-438D-49C6-8F58-20D560E6C64A.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 28
How did it happen? Did the other chickens attack her? Irrigate it and apply an antibiotic (not the one with pain reliever) Just keep flys and bugs away from it and keep it clean. I personally would probably cull her if she looks like she continues suffering and not improving. I'm sure other have better advise to give. :idunno

How did it happen? Did the other chickens attack her? Irrigate it and apply an antibiotic (not the one with pain reliever) Just keep flys and bugs away from it and keep it clean. I personally would probably cull her if she looks like she continues suffering and not improving. I'm sure other have better advise to give. :idunno
Not from an attack I believe the cause was from her taking flight from our porch which the other chickens do and land fine. She is one of my bigger chickens so the impact of the land I feel is what caused it, there’s a gravel path which she couldn’t avoid so she most likely landed on that causing a hard landing.

Irrigate it and apply an antibiotic (not the one with pain reliever) Just keep flys and bugs away from it and keep it clean. I personally would probably cull her if she looks like she continues suffering and not improving.

+1.

@Shaqnadal My chickens are not my pets. I will try to save a chicken if I can, but the last thing I would do is go to our local vets. First of all, they don't know much about poultry anyways, and second of all, I could replace my entire backyard flock 3X over for the price of one vet visit.

That sure looks like a nasty wound, so if she is suffering and does not improve, don't feel bad if you have to cull her. Taking care of small animals can be very rewarding, but it also comes with the responsibility in knowing when not to let an animal in your care suffer needlessly.

I hope she is able to recover. Please keep the thread updated on the status of your interventions and the condition of your bird.

+1.

@Shaqnadal My chickens are not my pets. I will try to save a chicken if I can, but the last thing I would do is go to our local vets. First of all, they don't know much about poultry anyways, and second of all, I could replace my entire backyard flock 3X over for the price of one vet visit.

That sure looks like a nasty wound, so if she is suffering and does not improve, don't feel bad if you have to cull her. Taking care of small animals can be very rewarding, but it also comes with the responsibility in knowing when not to let an animal in your care suffer needlessly.

I hope she is able to recover. Please keep the thread updated on the status of your interventions and the condition of your bird.
I understand and appreciate this reply a lot, thank you! Will keep the thread updated

Can you please post some photos of the whole hen too?
How old is she?
What do you feed?
Is she laying eggs?

The others have been picking on her? Has she been active, eating/drinking, etc. this whole time or have you noticed her isolating herself for a good while?

If this is located on the breast, then likely it's breast blister.

Trim the feathers away from the wound so you can see if better.
Take more photos.
General care right now would be to clean well with Chlorhexidine or Betadine. Apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment over the wound.
I assume she's not roosting? Place her on puppy pads inside her cage, this way the wound stays cleaner.

Is there a bad odor?
Can she eat/drink on her own? Work on hydration, if you have electrolytes or poultry vitamins, give her those and fresh water too. Once she's drinking, then offer her some wet feed.
Make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

Can you please post some photos of the whole hen too?
How old is she?
What do you feed?
Is she laying eggs?

The others have been picking on her? Has she been active, eating/drinking, etc. this whole time or have you noticed her isolating herself for a good while?

If this is located on the breast, then likely it's breast blister.

Trim the feathers away from the wound so you can see if better.
Take more photos.
General care right now would be to clean well with Chlorhexidine or Betadine. Apply a thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment over the wound.
I assume she's not roosting? Place her on puppy pads inside her cage, this way the wound stays cleaner.

Is there a bad odor?
Can she eat/drink on her own? Work on hydration, if you have electrolytes or poultry vitamins, give her those and fresh water too. Once she's drinking, then offer her some wet feed.
Make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
(Will add more photos shortly going to trim her feathers around the area)

She is about 2 years old.
Pellet based feed with added nutrition
She is not laying currently

They only picked on her after she become less active as she was blocking the entryway into the coop. Separated her because of that. So initially she had taken a hard fall on a pebble path, she was fine and then a few days ago roughly 2-3 I noticed she was having difficulty jumping but from what I could tell she didn’t seem to be in massive pain.

My hunch is the sternum but I could be mistaken as none of my other chickens have had any broken bones.

The wound when I finally found it did have a bit of a smell so I washed it out and dried the area.

Her appetite is not massive but she has been eating I’ve been able to get her to eat a few berries.

I do have the Chlorhexidine arriving in the AM on Tuesday, as well as Vetericyn. But in the meantime I washed it out and applied antibiotic ointment

My chicken has a bone showing through her chest area more towards the sternum I believe. I have researched a lot and haven’t been able to find what to do. I was going to get ointment for it and apply it around the area. She is in a cage away from the flock as they were being violent with her as she is weak and not able to move around much. She has not had a big appetite or been in the mood to drink a lot of water either. Attached a photo of what it looks like,

just curious will this heal and will she get better Or is this something that may affect her for life and she will never be the same?
Also is there anything I can do to help her heal? Just totally unsure what to do here my 18 chickens have never broken a bone so this is new for me!
Update!!
I believe it was a breast blister this came out of the wound on her underside

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom