My chicken has a cold

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Johnn, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    My chicken has a cold and is sneezing, is there anything i can give her to help her get over it?

2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Sorry about your bird.
    Bring it into somewhere warm. That's about all I know. [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Chickens dont get colds, they get a specific disease(s.) Or, it could possibly be an environmental issue such as dust from feed, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, pollen, smoke etc...causing your chicken to sneeze. The enviromental issues can be eliminated. Here's a link to respiratory diseases. Scroll down to "infectious Coryza" and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum" (MG.) It seems they are the two most prevelent diseases floating around.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Quote:They talk about discharge not sneezing and she has no discharge, it wouldnt suprise me if it was the soiled bedding fumes.

5. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    ???

6. OurLittlebitRanch

OurLittlebitRanch Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2012
    Pueblo, Colorado
    I am not sure what it could be BUT we recently found a product called Oxine. It sounds like it could be an amazing product. There are several ways to use it, a fogger (which seems to be more than most people are willing to use) or it can be administered directly into their water. We have ordered some but have not gotten to use it yet, we have just been too busy! Look into it though. It sound like something that can be used as a preventative and also as a treatment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by