My Chicken has a swollen foot with raised scales and 2 nasty wounds

TerriL

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Holden, Missouri
Hello hope someone knows what this is and what to do. My Rooster has had a swolen foot for several months. My first thought was Bumblefoot but no bumble but I treated him anyway I soaked, got antibotic from vet IM, packed with iodine, neosporin and treated it for 2 months no improvement. So I decided he had scale mites, his scales were sticking out (of course his foot was so swolen) I soaked, put vasiline on for a long time, just got worse. So after not looking at it for a couple weeks, I looked at it today and hopefully you can see from the pics, he has a nasty place on the side of his foot and a nasty place on top. I tried to dig some of the puss out but just got blood and pieces of bone from the toes. I packed with neo and got on line. If I have to put him down I will but I would rather not if I can do something. I can not find a vet that does chickens.

I was going to put some pictues on this post but I cant figure out how sorry I am very new to this.

To put pictures up here you need an account with an image hosting site. Photobucket.com is one of the ones that offers these for free. Once you get an account there you upload your pics to your album. When they're uploaded you can mouseover the image and boxes will appear underneath it. For this forum, you'd want to highlight the text in the "direct link" box and copy it. Then come here, open up a post, type until you get to where you want the pic to be, click the little "Img" box above the little row of smilies, and paste the direct link text between

Good luck at getting help for your roo! Wish I could help!

Hi Chickenlady The vet gave me Naxcel. I dont know if any of this would work but I have on hand Tylan 50, Erythromycin to put in water thats all I have right now. My vet does not treat chickens or Turkeys he was trying to help since we dont have anyone out here that treats them.

I am not familiar with naxcel. Tylan wont work neither will erythormycin. Try to get to a feed store or tractor supply for injectable penicillin. Have you figured out how to post a pic? PM me and i will give you my email address if you would like to email me the pic and I will post it for you.

Well I am sure it is an infection but I dont know if it is Bumblefoot or not I cannot find a black thing on the bottom of the foot. If I knew where to lance it I would just to get the swelling down that has to hurt. If I dig in the site at the side of the foot all I get is blood and some bone pieces. The one on top of the toe under the scales I do get some puss out but that one must be painfull because he wont let me dig in that one. I am not sure that antiboitic in the water will be any help or not. i feel like I need to make a 2" incision on the top of the foot to give him some relief but I am afraid that I would be making things worse with that big of a cut.

Quote:
It's not bone that is coming out of the foot, it is the puss. Chicken puss is really gross, it's really hard and cheesy. I would open up one of the sores where it is already made a hole and dig that stuff out.

The easy one is the pink one on the side, sterilize some tweezers and yank out that plug on the top, follow the directions. The top one has started to drain on it's own and then reheal with infection still inside. If it were me, I would scoop the center of that one out with a scalpel and soak the foot in warm/hot water and epsom salt for a minute for a few minutes. That one is going to be harder to get the infection out of. I think you are going to have to give an internal antibiotic as well as flush the wound as best you can/ I'd use sterile saline (you can boil saltwater and make that yourself) and follow up with betadine.

I would not dig around those scales, you may help the infection spred by doing that.

The bumble foots aren't always on the bottom of the foot. Can you take a picture of the bottom of the foot though? I think I see swelling.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom