My chicken has abandoned her nest.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by got flogged, Aug 14, 2011.

1. got flogged

got flogged New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    she has been sitting for around 4 days and about 8 hours ago she got off it and has not returned. I dont have an incubator. I have another hen that just had chicks and was a very good broody, i think, i'm new to chickens though. So that being said, would it be possible for hen 2 to set on the eggs, her chicks are only a week old. Is there something i can rig up and cross my fingers or is it more likely the eggs will all fail regardless now. Thanks for the help

2. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    What if you put her and the eggs in a cage?? Although 8 hours already is a lot of time. What is the outside temp like, have you candled to see if they are still alive??

3. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    It wouldn't work to put the eggs under the hen that has chicks. she already has her chicks so she wont be interested in sitting on more eggs at all. I would try locking the broody #1 in a small cage with the eggs and see what happens.
    Otherwise do you have a friend or someone that may have an incubator. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by