My chicken has mites

Plumper chickens

In the Brooder
Dec 9, 2020
Hello, I need help getting rid of mites on one of my barred rock chickens. She also for some reason recently developed sort of a hunchback, where she doesn’t seem to be able to move her neck up at all on her own, and she looks like she is constantly looking down. The very big problem with this is she doesn’t seem to be eating or drinking on her own, I am able to hand feed her and she seems to sometimes eat things off the ground, but I can’t give her water very well at all. I have been feeding her wet bread to give her some water though, and I have been putting some diatomaceous earth on her feathers where I saw the mites, I don’t know for sure if the mites are what is causing her neck to be stuck like that, but it seems like they may be related. Please help me! Thanks.

Hello, I need help getting rid of mites on one of my barred rock chickens. She also for some reason recently developed sort of a hunchback, where she doesn’t seem to be able to move her neck up at all on her own, and she looks like she is constantly looking down. The very big problem with this is she doesn’t seem to be eating or drinking on her own, I am able to hand feed her and she seems to sometimes eat things off the ground, but I can’t give her water very well at all. I have been feeding her wet bread to give her some water though, and I have been putting some diatomaceous earth on her feathers where I saw the mites, I don’t know for sure if the mites are what is causing her neck to be stuck like that, but it seems like they may be related. Please help me! Thanks.
Can you post some photos of her?
How old is she?
What's her crop like?

I would offer her wet mushy feed instead of bread. Hard to know what's going on with the neck, but it sounds like Wry Neck. I would give her 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/2 tablet B-Complex once a day.

Permethrin is commonly used to treat mites/lice, but some use Sevin along with Frontline spray or they use Elector PSP. DE is not going to treat an infestation.

For the mites olive oil kills them well justr rub it on there legs once a day.
That will help with Scaly Leg Mites which live under the scales of the legs, but I think the OP is seeing mites or lice on the body which are a different "type" and require a different treatment.

I agree with permethrin or one of the other insecticide products being good for mites. Treat at least twice 7 day intervals, but also clean out your coop bedding and treatthe empty coop, nests, and roosts. Permethrin 10 spray concentrate which is mixed with water is very affordble, under 10 dollars at feed stores for a pint. DE will not treat a mite infestation. Mites can cause anemia and kill. There are 2 main types of body mites, one of which comes out at night. Here is some reading about mite treatment and how DE can be dangerous:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

How old is she?
What's her crop like?

I would offer her wet mushy feed instead of bread. Hard to know what's going on with the neck, but it sounds like Wry Neck. I would give her 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/2 tablet B-Complex once a day.

Permethrin is commonly used to treat mites/lice, but some use Sevin along with Frontline spray or they use Elector PSP. DE is not going to treat an infestation.

In a little while I can probably post a picture of her, she’s about 6 and a half years old, I don’t know for sure about the crop, I have been able to hand feed her and give her left over boiled egg which I think has vitamin E, I’ll think about the mite treatment stuff probably, at night recently it’s been in the 20s and 30s so I don’t think the mites would be able to live on the coop, I think they probably just stay on her all the time, I’ve picked a few of them off, and I tried to let her take a dust bath but since her neck is like that, she doesn’t seem to be able to unfortunately. I might feed her some wet food too, thanks.

How old is she?
What's her crop like?

5ED57E05-E639-4CA7-825C-1C60DCC8E543.jpeg
5ED57E05-E639-4CA7-825C-1C60DCC8E543.jpeg
DB84EFAC-4E03-4B50-BB77-33411D96FF91.jpeg

In a little while I can probably post a picture of her, she’s about 6 and a half years old, I don’t know for sure about the crop, I have been able to hand feed her and give her left over boiled egg which I think has vitamin E, I’ll think about the mite treatment stuff probably, at night recently it’s been in the 20s and 30s so I don’t think the mites would be able to live on the coop, I think they probably just stay on her all the time, I’ve picked a few of them off, and I tried to let her take a dust bath but since her neck is like that, she doesn’t seem to be able to unfortunately. I might feed her some wet food too, thanks.
Mites and lice can infest your coop regardless of weather or temperature.
DE is not an effective treatment against an infestation.

She looks unwell. I would treat her for the bugs to at least give her some relief.

At her age she may be suffering from a reproductive problem. Egg is fine to give along with her normal feed, but extra vitamin E and B-Complex may be of benefit to see if that will help correct her Wry Neck symptoms.

Mites and lice can infest your coop regardless of weather or temperature.
DE is not an effective treatment against an infestation.

She looks unwell. I would treat her for the bugs to at least give her some relief.

At her age she may be suffering from a reproductive problem. Egg is fine to give along with her normal feed, but extra vitamin E and B-Complex may be of benefit to see if that will help correct her Wry Neck symptoms.
Ok, thanks, I will see what I can do. She doesn’t seem to want to eat the wet food very much, but for some reason she eats the wet bread instead, but thankfully she just drank some water from her feeder!

Back
Top Bottom