My chicken has something wrong with her rear.

greenbee89

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Hi everyone,
I am new to this site and new to being a chicken owner. Before I get into what is wrong with my chicken I think is should give these chickens back story first.

We know very little about them. I don't know how old they are and I don't know what kinds they are, all I can say is that we started off with 3 red chickens, one red chicken with fluffy feathers on her cheeks, and 5 white with tiny spots of black chickens. My rooster is white and black. We have only had them for a few months and we got them from a family that was moving and no longer wanted them. As much as these chickens were not neglected by the first family, no real attention was paid to them, meaning, two of the chickens had very poopy butts for quite some time and the first owners didn't think twice about it. Once we got then to our home and settled in we gave all of the chickens penicillin in their water in the hopes of clearing up what ever was causing the diarrhea. During this time we were getting maybe one egg a week, but didn't think anything of it because it was still pretty cold out side. Just as we thought things were all cleared up, we suddenly lost three chickens in a matter of 9 days. One day they would be up walking around, eating, drinking, clucking and in the morning they would gone.

Now for the chicken that is sick but still alive. this morning around 1030 I went out side and noticed that one of my white chickens had what I only know how to describe as a massive hernia from her rear. She is up walking around, eating and drinking, but acts like she wants to poop but can't and will make a quiet squeaking noise when she tries. I have read so many possibilities that I am more confused then when I first saw her.

Here are some of the things I have read that may cause this.

Worms
Egg bound
Infection in her ovaries
cancer in her ovaries
egg yolk peritonitis

I was not able to catch her by myself and wont have help to catch her for a few more hours, so I have not done any sort of physical exam on her, but based on what I do know are any of these more likely then the others? And what can I do?

Thanks
B

Thank you! I now know what direction to go in, now just to catch her. Thank you thank you!!

Just an update. My chicken laid her egg today and she looks much better!
celebrate.gif
Thank you for all of the advice and help!

Back
Top Bottom