My chicken honks like a duck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ellie, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    No kidding... she squeals and sort of clucks, then,,,,, HONK.

Do any of yours do that?

Ellie

2. theMickster

theMickster Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    N.W. Ohio
    Yeah, I've got a Marans hen that I call Duckie from the duck-like sounds she made as a youngster.

Mick

3. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    My JGiant sound like a goose.

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i love it. does she hang out with ducks, like imitating, or just came up with it by herself.

5. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I've always thought my Australorp sounds like a duck. I love her sultry voice [​IMG]

6. Lilychick

Lilychick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2007
    MA
    My RIR sounds just like duck.

7. skatcatla

skatcatla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2007
    Yep. One of my girls honks LOUD whenever she needs to lay and someone else is using the box. This was really funny the first time I finally figured out why she was honking. It was NOT so funny at 6am this morning. I'm sure my neighbors hate me. I really need to push my carpenter to finish the new coop...it will have three next boxes instead of the one they all have to share right now!

8. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Yup, got one that honks. She'll do regular chicken noises, than out comes a honk! There have been alot of geese flying overhead lately, I thought she picked up that little habit from them, but I guess that little honk is part of the chicken package.

9. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Glad to hear that others do too. I thought it odd, only the barred rocks.. I think both of them do, but they look exactly alike... gave them the same name.

Pickles, there are no ducks around. It is the darndest thing. It usually happens when I don't shell out the treats fast enough for her. [​IMG]

Ellie

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  10. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    I thought it was strange that the littlest orp hen I have honks like a goose...I'm glad there are others that do that too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by