my chicken is not eating, acts lethargic and is very thin

winniem13

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
Eastern North Carolina
My 7 month old bantam polish pullet was shipped to us a week and a half ago. The previous owner said she was fine and healthy. Since arrival, she has stopped eating, just sits with her tail and wings hung low. She acts very lethargic (which could be from lack of energy of not eating). We have been force feeding her wet feed(a mixture of medicated chick starter and crumbles), feeding her tomatoes and cottage cheese for protein, and giving her water from a dropper. She holds her head up ok. She does not have runny stools. She does not have any mites or lice. She does not sneeze or have any drainage. Vent looks normal. She will occasionally shake out her feathers or shake her head as if trying to shake off dirt. She also will open her mouth on occasion like something is stuck in her throat, but we looked in and could see almost down to her crop. The interventions we have done so far is force feeding, brought her in the house, gave her a pill wormer, and have been giving her poultry vitamins. Any thoughts???? Should I givr her a dose of antiobiotics? We called our state vet, and they wanted to bring her in to the cost of $300, and that is just impossible. We love her, but Santa would be broke. We gave the wormer yesterday, so I'm waiting to see if that helps. Help, please!!

Back
Top Bottom