My chicken is pecking and chasing her friends when ever they try to get a drink or eat!

Add additional feeders and waters. This may be a long term thing or the bully may stop in a few days. You don’t have to go buy and expensive water or feeder, I used 2 liter bottles and cut a troth like opening in the sides (think original subway bread cut). I have them literally zip tied to the coop run. I add food in 2 of them and water in another. The water usually isn’t used but it gives the lower on the pecking order a place to run if needed. The feeders are used like crazy and it has all but stopped this in my flock
I have 2 feeders. One in the coop, and one in the enclosure. It also seems like the Swedish Flower can't drive both of them out at the same time especially if one is eating and the other is across the enclosure drinking. I will put the waterer they used when they were chicks somewhere in the coop too.

I had two hens that were bullies. I caught one hen really wailing away on one of the pullets. She was so intent on the pullet that she didn't know I was there. I had a hose in my hand and gave her a good squirt with the hose. She wasn't expecting it as she was really into beating up the pullet. Boy did she ever jump off when she got hit with the water. She ran into the coop and didn't come back out for a long time. I have a hose on each coop. I had a fire hose nozzle on the hose, and squirted her with a nice blast of water. It would really surprise her but didn't completely stop her. I caught her a few more times and always had the hose handy and squirted her when she was being aggressive. The other bully did eventually quit bullying. Originally I did take them out of the flock for about a week. When I did put them back with the flock one was ok but the other was still being a real bully so I would squirt her with the hose and catch her off guard. I took her out of the flock for another week but she was still the bully when I put her back in with the other birds. She wouldn't let the others into the coop where the feeder was. I eventually cut a second pop door into their coop. She couldn't guard both doors and I put another hanging feeder in the covered part of their run. I finally took her to an auction with some males. I thought maybe she would straighten out once she was in a new place and then at the bottom of the pecking order.

I can't really separate any of them because I don't have any other structures besides the main coup, and other than the food and water situations they seem to behave just fine together.

How much space do you have, both coop and run? What do you have in the space other than a feeder and waterer - it sounds like the run is just an open space? Adding a 2nd feeder (or even a 3rd) can help, but so will clutter to break up the space, provide hiding spots, and give them something to interact with: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

They are 10 month olds so I thought that the pecking order would be found out already

Pecking order is a fluid thing and can continue to change over time, even among an established flock.

I have Flower hens in my flock of nine. I have three of them and then three Legbars and three Orpingtons. The Three Flower Hens are the top of the pecking order in my flock and believe you me they run the show. They bully the bigger Orpingtons much of the time and they don’t be as mean to the Legbars except for one in particular of the Legbars who has always been a food hog. Now they like to try to keep her off feed whenever they can. I have to watch that because this Legbar is my first and best laying hen. The Flower hens are sweet chickens for the most part especially to the family and really as they were babies but one of them thinks she is a dog like a watch dog also. She actually thinks and moves like a dog does when they are watching over a a herd of something like sheep or cattle except it’s her flock. I think because we raised them in the house around our two dogs maybe??? Then we got a huge outside dog which is a big breed a English Cream Golden Retriever puppy and they are larger than the regular retriever breed. Anyway the girls are not afraid of them because the dogs know not to hurt them. My older dog goes in the run with me sometimes and they are cool together so maybe they have sort of imprinted on her and she acts like one. The chickens have a huge run and when the dogs are out in the yard they follow them around everywhere for entertainment. I rambled some I’m afraid but my main point was that the flower hens are going to be your top of the heap top of the pecking order no matter what chicken breeds that you bring in most likely. They are a survivalist breed and they don’t take any flack from anything you through at them. They are hardy tough gals. The other poster who recommended placing more feeding stations is exactly right. I have four feeding bowls out there in the run so that everyone gets plenty and I have a drinker in the coop and one in the run so they can get a drink when they are going and coming from laying or going to roost and then while they are in the run all day. It keeps fighting way down.

How much space do you have, both coop and run? What do you have in the space other than a feeder and waterer - it sounds like the run is just an open space? Adding a 2nd feeder (or even a 3rd) can help, but so will clutter to break up the space, provide hiding spots, and give them something to interact with: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

Pecking order is a fluid thing and can continue to change over time, even among an established flock
Will do!

Attachments

• 1B5B95C3-4D58-483C-9998-77C5F55CA0EB.jpeg
    1B5B95C3-4D58-483C-9998-77C5F55CA0EB.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 5AF0BB85-1901-416A-A347-111125754CC3.jpeg
    5AF0BB85-1901-416A-A347-111125754CC3.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 8C7FC77B-3641-4D4F-9A5F-D951ACDEEF05.jpeg
    8C7FC77B-3641-4D4F-9A5F-D951ACDEEF05.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 3C4B3908-6887-48C4-9A9F-B29B406A6B3F.jpeg
    3C4B3908-6887-48C4-9A9F-B29B406A6B3F.jpeg
    566.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 3E5748BB-9287-4511-A83A-630BD3E39539.jpeg
    3E5748BB-9287-4511-A83A-630BD3E39539.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 4
So is this an elevated coop above a run? Can't really tell, but looks like the run is fairly plan with no real obstacles?

How big is the coop and how big is the run, as far as width and length?
Ditto Dat!
Need pics of the whole thing from farther back.....taken in daylight.
And yes, dimensions.

So is this an elevated coop above a run? Can't really tell, but looks like the run is fairly plan with no real obstacles?

How big is the coop and how big is the run, as far as width and length?
The run is 192 by 101 inches. The coop is a right angle, so the main part is 96 by 48 inches, and their sleeping quarters is 48 by 48 inches.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom