My chicken is standing!

Chickenguy0909

In the Brooder
Jan 1, 2024
my brahma pullet just turned 5 months old. she hasn't laid yet. Can someone help me and tell me why she’s standing? She’s active and can walk normally after getting up but its a struggle for her to go to the normal stance from the standing stance.

Attachments

• IMG_3591.jpeg
    IMG_3591.jpeg
    552.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3592.jpeg
    IMG_3592.jpeg
    539 KB · Views: 6
Maybe she needs to lay her first egg. This can be tough for her. In some way you can compare it with a woman in labour.

Most egg- deliveries are easy but it can be hard on a chicken too.

You can put her in a nest box and keep an eye in her if she feels comfortable with you.

When I see that penguin-ish stance, I think of an egg issue first. But there are a lot of possible egg issues, often jello/soft shelled eggs being “stuck”. I think the egg tract that would normally squeeze/contract around a solid object to expel it struggles if the object is NOT solid. So that is a possibility.
If it’s a hot or warm, sunny day, I just observe. But if the temps are cool/cold, I like to give the bird a warm bath and blow dry or towel dry, and leave in a warm area with food and water for a day. Warmth helps the body relax, imo.

I would continue to observe her. A very upright position sometimes is a sign of a reproductive disorder. Her tail is down in the picture which can be another sign. Egg bound can sometimes look similar. What are you feeding her, and what do her poops look like? Do you provide crushed oyster shell inna separate container. Does she seem to be crooked or have any bony issue that looks off? There can be spinal deformities, known as kinky back. Hopefully, we can help you figure this out.

Back
Top Bottom