MY CHICKEN IS THROWING UP WATER

siamos

In the Brooder
May 12, 2021
A couple days ago one of my chicks died, and now the other one is depressed. Today she drank a lot of water and started throwing up. I'm very scared and I don't want to lose her.

That can happen when they drink too much all at once.
Is she breathing OK?

Any other behaviors that would indicate she it sick?
Did you ever figure out what killed her hatchmate?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i-think-my-chicken-is-depressed.1467077/#post-24450341
She is breathing fine. When I had looked over her sibling, I noticed everything except the neck was stiff. The left leg also had all the feathers plucked off of it. I considered the fact that she had been bullied, due to the fact that another one of their siblings who had died 2 months earlier, was beaten. I had done my best to keep her alive, treated her wounds, gave her fresh water and feed everyday, and tried to help train her legs again, as she couldn't walk. I had also seperates her from the rest of the flock except for the mother and her siblings. After 8 days, she was almost back to normal. She had a slight limp and her wounds were still healling, but I thought she would do fine, as one of our adult hens also has a limp. I let her be with the rest of the flock and watched for a couple of minutes. I had to leave to go to an orthodontist appointment, and when I came back, my step dad had told me he found her on the ground dead, with blood all on her back. This is the last chick of her batch, and I don't want to lose her.

I am so sorry for your loss.:( Maybe she is depressed, and eating and drinking a lot out of stress. I think that your chick is okay, but just in case, make sure that she isn’t sick. Also check what she is eating, it could be her diet. I hope that I was a help you you!

You said the chick is 2 months?
Did you pick up the chick and that’s when the liquid came out? Chickens cannot vomit, so when you see anything coming out of their crop it is because of a crop issue OR they just drank a bunch of water and the crop was already full, so a little came out (which is what I believe is your situation). If you had picked her up and then the liquid started coming out of the crop, it’s because you pressed on it in the act of picking her up. It’s not completely uncommon. As long as he crop is flat and empty first thing in the morning before having any food or water, then you’re fine. The crop empties completely overnight. One that doesn’t is impacted.

You said the chick is 2 months?
Did you pick up the chick and that’s when the liquid came out? Chickens cannot vomit, so when you see anything coming out of their crop it is because of a crop issue OR they just drank a bunch of water and the crop was already full, so a little came out (which is what I believe is your situation). If you had picked her up and then the liquid started coming out of the crop, it’s because you pressed on it in the act of picking her up. It’s not completely uncommon. As long as he crop is flat and empty first thing in the morning before having any food or water, then you’re fine. The crop empties completely overnight. One that doesn’t is impacted.
That is probably what it is.

Im sorry for the late response, many things have happened lately and I needed time. She has unfortunately passed. There were no signs to tell us what she died from.

Back
Top Bottom