My chicken laid something not an egg!??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wefanjr, Nov 12, 2009.

1. wefanjr

wefanjr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    MA
    Last night I went to coup to check chickens. I saw what I thought was an egg under the roost. I scooped it up and realized it wasn't an egg. It looks like an organ or something. I don't have a rooster so I know it wasn't an embryo. Do hens ever expel their reproductive organs? I have no idea what it would be. My hens are only 2-3 years old. Any ideas????

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    did you cut it open? Is it a soft shelled egg?

3. zowieyellowflame

zowieyellowflame Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Sounds like a soft shelled egg to me! It would not be organs or anything. Sometimes eggs will come out completely liquid, and sometimes they will come out with a thin membrane over it, semi transparent and very strange in appearance.
    I think, I am no expert, but people likely would say she could use a little more calcium (oyster shell in a dish in the coop) and or organic apple cider vinegar. Also too, I think sometimes they do this for no reason at all and then things return to normal on its own.

4. Miss Sebright

Miss Sebright Little Hen.....Big Attitude!

Apr 3, 2009
    In a nutshell
    Probably a soft shelled egg, nothing to get to worried about.

5. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    can you post a pic? or describe it in more detail?
    it could be an ovary...it does happen..usually from latent infection..
    if that's what it is..she needs to be watched carefully and consider an antibiotic..such as Pen-G or Baytril..

has she laid an egg since?

has she been in molt?
    has she been wormed?
    describe the droppings..color and consistency..
    if it's a soft shell egg..she needs extra calcium, vitamins and protein..

6. wefanjr

wefanjr Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    MA
    Absolutely not an egg. It was hard, kind of oval shaped with a little piece flapping off of it. As far as the hen laying more eggs, I don't know which hen it came from. I am not getting very many eggs lately. i havn't been supplementing enough light. Plus I think I have an egg eater in the bunch.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by