My chicken layed two eggs then quit

shinygirl

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 23, 2013
Hi there!
My Easter Egger hen started laying eggs around 6 months old, layed 2 eggs, then quit! My 3 other hens (of different breeds) have been laying since they were 3 months old and are laying eggs every day normally. They are 9 months old now, and still no eggs from my Easter Egger, Lily! Can someone please help me out! I've been so patient but now that she's older than 8 months, I was wondering if there was any reason. She's in perfect health, and still super friendly!

Someone also told me that if I don't have a rooster (which I don't) the hen might realize the eggs aren't fertilized and therefore quit laying... Have you ever heard of this?

Hi there!
My Easter Egger hen started laying eggs around 6 months old, layed 2 eggs, then quit! My 3 other hens (of different breeds) have been laying since they were 3 months old and are laying eggs every day normally. They are 9 months old now, and still no eggs from my Easter Egger, Lily! Can someone please help me out! I've been so patient but now that she's older than 8 months, I was wondering if there was any reason. She's in perfect health, and still super friendly!
Some birds really seem to be sensitive to the lack of sunlight. You could supplement the short daylight hours with a light (not fluorescent) on a timer.

Back
Top Bottom