My Chicken lost a toe and now she won’t walk

Lusee_Wags

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2018
A couple weeks ago I noticed that my chicken was limping. I went to investigate, and I found her middle on her right leg twisted around. I went on here and got some answers on what to do, and I wrapped the toe. Unfortunately, the toe died and I had to cut it off (it was hanging on by a thread of skin). Now it’s been about 2 weeks, and she will not walk. It seems as if the two other toes can’t move/work. One of the toes is black at the end, and she won’t bend them. I tried bending
them and I was afraid they would snap off (they bent just a little, I don’t think she can bend them without help). I’ve been trying to do some sort of physical therapy with her (putting her on a perch so she has to bend her toes and massaging them, standing her up, putting pressure on them) but she falls face first into the ground. She has diarrhea (she hardly eats a thing), and it’s difficult for her to walk. She can’t bend her toes and due to that she can’t balance her weight and walk. I DONT WANT TO PUT HER TO SLEEP!! Please, does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to force her somehow to walk?! She is my beloved pet! Thanks!!

I've had a hen go through auto-amputation of a damaged talon. What happens is first the talon is damaged, then the tissue behind it swells up as the immune system cuts off blood supply to the damaged tissue, then the damaged talon turns black, dries up and falls away. You said you helped the last part by severing the final attachment. That's what I did.

Then the stump slowly heals and the swelling eventually subsides. The whole point of chickens having this immune response is so that a damaged extremity doesn't rot and cause an infection. It's actually a pretty nifty thing if you think about it.

The feet and legs look fine to me. I see no infection. They look as they should given what is happening with her immune system response to a damaged toe. You can assist healing by giving her daily soaks in warm Epsom salt water and spray the stump with Vetericyn. Give her aspirin if she appears to be in pain and try to figure out a place for her to sleep comfortably and safely without having to roost.

She probably has an infection in that foot by the looks of it.
x2
Her whole foot & leg look swollen.
I'm not sure what medicine you can use for that.

But it might help to put her in a sling. That will support her so she doesn't have to put pressure on the foot while it heals.
You also put food & water right in front of her so she has 24/7 access to nutrients. I'd make sure she's eating & drinking well, so she has the strength to fight off the infection.
Here's some pictures to help
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/need-a-chicken-sling.1115597/

A closeup photo of both feet would be a big help if we are going to try to advise you. We need to see the extent of the damage to her feet.

Do you know if she suffered frostbite? How long has this been going on? She sounds like she could be suffering considerable pain and that's why she doesn't want to use her feet. Also, a chicken is not capable of roosting unless they have full use of both feet.

Thanks for the suggestions. She seems to be doing a little bit better. She now wants to get out of the coop. She has way more energy than before. I will definitely put your suggestions into consideration! Thank you!

A closeup photo of both feet would be a big help if we are going to try to advise you. We need to see the extent of the damage to her feet.

Do you know if she suffered frostbite? How long has this been going on? She sounds like she could be suffering considerable pain and that's why she doesn't want to use her feet. Also, a chicken is not capable of roosting unless they have full use of both feet.
Thank you, I will post a photo tomorrow. I think she got her injury because of a plant pot falling on her toe. Her toe is a bit swollen, so she may be in pain.

It seems as if the other two toes have shrunk... They are kind of swollen.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    449.4 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg