My Chicken Lost Her Toenails!

collegechicken77

Hatching
May 27, 2023
Hello! I have 4 Cinnamon Queen chickens and one of them (only one) has very swollen toes? I just noticed this today- and I think her toenails fell off? there is one left that's black and I can't find anything on the internet that looks like this?
She's about 3 years old and she can walk perfectly fine! Isn't limping or looks like she's in pain. She let me touch them and didn't make any noises and still lets me pick her up and everything! She is eating and drinking fine too, I don't know how long this has been happening bc I have been working last shifts at work so when I see the chickens they are asleep! None of the other 3 hens have this problem and it is only her like claw limbs that are swollen! Her pads are fine so I am pretty sure it isn't Bumblefoot!
Should I be worried??
IMG_9215.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9216.jpeg
    IMG_9216.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
This looks like frostbite injury to me, especially since it's more than one toe. Any chance that could have happened?
i thought it might be that too- but i live in an area where it is very warm right now and the place where they sleep is very warm + have never had frostbite problems even in winter!
it's been in the 50-70 during the day and 40ish at night (degrees in celsius!)

i thought it might be that too- but i live in an area where it is very warm right now and the place where they sleep is very warm + have never had frostbite problems even in winter!
it's been in the 50-70 during the day and 40ish at night (degrees in celsius!)
Any chance she got her toes caught in something constricting?

How low were the temperatures 1-2 months ago during the night? I would agree that it looks like frostbite. The toe tips and nails can fall off. The black toe will also fall off in time. This is a picture of how toes look after frostbite just before the self amputation occurs:

1685227330891.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom