My chicken math is out of control!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by harleyjo, Jun 12, 2011.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Last spring when we first started with chickens, we wanted around a dozen to get enough eggs for us. Now a year later I have 19 more 6 week olds, 4 just hatched in the brooder and I just set 18 more eggs in the incubator. Not to mention the 3 muscovy hens and 1 drake I have. 2 of those hens are sitting on clutches of eggs and the 3rd one is laying!

2. Flawedatdesign

Flawedatdesign Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Dixon Missouri
    Hehe Well you should have plenty of eggs next couple of years [​IMG]

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Yup, that seems to be how it works with chickens. There can never be too many. [​IMG]

4. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    That's not so bad...I went from zero to over 100 birds (including chickens/ducks/geese and turkeys) in a year and a half! Welcome to bird addiction [​IMG]

5. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    And you only wanted a DOZEN Eggs [​IMG] Sometimes you get MORE than you wish for.[​IMG] That'll show ya what happens when there are chickens, ducks, etc in your life [​IMG] But believe me...... IT IS WORTH IT!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    What scares me is that everyone who posts about out of control chicken math always ends up with ducks! I have to work pretty hard to keep my chicken math in check, but I just know that one day I'll look out in the yard and see my flock expanded to 50 or something with a bunch of ducks running around! [​IMG]

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Quote:I started with 5 chickens. Wanted a few more for variety. I now have 15 chickens, 11 in various stages of hatching (only keeping 2 I swear) and 3 ducks. [​IMG] The ducks are fun by the way....

8. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:I thought my chicken math was mostly under control...I really only have 3 chicks...but I have 2 ducks to...so maybe I'm in trouble...it's just the start after all

9. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Quote:[​IMG] You are figuring chicken math out, now just go with it! [​IMG]

10. Oghdoff

Oghdoff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    SE Texas
    Hi, my name is Kevin and I am a poultry addict. My mom and stepfather (who live next door on the family property) wanted chickens. Just enough for a few eggs to eat and maybe give/sell to friends and family. We started with 5. Then added 16 more. Lost one to a cat. Since they have little to nothing to do with the chickens and it's been all on my bill I added a RIR roo that a neighbor didn't want. Seeing the roo all alone and knowing my lil ones would be months before I could mix with him I found 9 RIR hens and bought them. Then after using this site as a reference to all the problems I encountered with the chickens, I got hooked! I now have the 30 chickens (really want Dom's and Barny's too) 6 poults and 10 ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by