My chicken plans for this coming year

Holy Chickens Batman.

You are out of control and I totally respect it. Heck, I may be a bit jealous.

The only thing I can't believe is you are getting rid of the silkies. Nope,
not possible.

Quote:
lol.png
I would keep them if I had a building for them. I will have my hands full housing all that I have now.

I haven't moved either of the buildings yet that have been offered to me because my friend's loader broke down and then the snows came. I will be moving a coop here that will be housing all the layers and also a pigeon coop that will house the quail. It has individual pens within the building.

I'll use my current coop as three different breeding pens and I'll have to build two 4x8 or 4x10 pens for the sex-link projects. Now if the snow would just go away.....

Quote:
I figured since they are about the same size then it will work. I ended up with three different colors of quail from the last hatch. One natural colored, one white and one golden speckled.

Quote:
I stop turning on day 18- three days before the hatch date. If you leave the turner in too long they can be injured plus it's not a good idea to open the incubator during the last three days. If your eggs haven't hatched yet and it's day 21 or later, give them until day 25 before you give up hope. I've had eggs pip as late as day 24 depending on the temp of the incubator.

My only real plans are to get some honest to goodness pure bred Ameraucanas, but it's like a chicken soap opera here. It changes from day to day.

I plan on having two pens of sex-links. One will have a RIR rooster over RIR hens and BR hens. This will give me RIR chicks and and black sex-links. The other pen will have a NHR rooster over Delaware and SLW hens to give me Red Sex links and Cinnamon Queens. I will probably make the Welsummer cockerel my yard rooster eventually so that my Cuckoo Marans will produce sex-linked chicks as well. I have had people asking me for dark egg layers and that may be the way to go for the local interest.

Back
Top Bottom