My Chicken Sling

Tracy the chick

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Uk
Hi Guys, My polish 13week Old Polish Frizzle got pushed off the top of the ladder on her new coop. She fell and we think she broke her leg and it sticks out.. Ive tried to make a chicken seat please let me know if you have any more ideas for this poor chicken as i dont know how much pain she is in
sad.png

This Is Fizz
104981_charlie_064.jpg

I got a basket and put a pillow case over it with 2 leg holes and a poop hole.. I now it looks scruffy but i cant help that
hide.gif

104981_charlie_060.jpg

104981_charlie_061.jpg

I then put a fleece blanket over the top for more compfort

104981_charlie_063.jpg

I then put Fizz in with a bowl of water & Food.. I remove the water incase she drowns...

104981_charlie_065.jpg

104981_charlie_066.jpg

I was at the vet with one of my hens and the vet offered pain medication to send home. So they do have it for chickens, maybe it would help? Your sling looks good. I hope the poor thing recovers! I'm sorry, it's so hard when they get injured. Maybe someone else will have more experience with broken chicken legs, I wish I had more to offer
smile.png
Good luck, keep us posted!!!

Great setup
cool.png

Keeping her off the bad leg is best, giving it time to heal...albeit might take quite awhile. I never recommend pain meds for leg/foot problems. You want them to feel the pain. Otherwise they'll try walking/acting normal and make the injury worse or permanent. Edited to add; get some vitamin B complex tablets, crush a few into powder and sprinkle it onto her feed for her to eat. It may help speed up recovery.

Last edited:
Quote:
Aw thanks hun i will keep you updated, hopefully it works and someone else could do the same for an injured leg. I was googling all night trying to find a chicken seat lol.. Tracy x

Quote:
Thanks jim my best BYC member lol...

I do hope it works, ill get some vitamin B from work today...she seems nice and relaxed at the moment. Do you think i should get her out for a couple of hours or just leave her in there? ..Tracy x

Does anyone know how long to keep my chicken in her seat? Not sure if i leave her in there till she heals or do i remove her for a couple of hours a day?
hu.gif

Leg injuries take time to heal. If it's a minor sprain, she could possibly walk normally within a week. If it's a moderate injury to a tendon or ligament, healing could take longer or possibly never, just depends on the severity. If you want to remove her from the sling, that's up to you. I recommend that she gets plenty of rest and relaxation in a cage or in the sling. Take her out of the sling or cage in 5 days to see if she can walk normally. If not, put her back in the cage or sling for one week and continue the vitamin B complex treatment in her feed. Then take her out again and see if she can walk. If not, put her back in the cage or sling, stop the vitamin B complex treatment. It will then become a quality of life issue for you. I had one hen that never healed and hobbled around on one leg for a year til her other leg gave out. I had to put her down because of it.

Thank you. I think ill keep her in the sling. Like you said she needs rest and time to heal.. She dosn't mind been in the sling so thats good.. Ill get her out in a weeks time. Im not sure what's she's done, she fell off the top ladder and landed on the soft grass but her leg was sticking out so im thinking it might be a ligament injury as i cant see her breaking it on the grass unless her bones are very fragile. I think id rather her have a break than a ligament injury because that takes ages to heal..Tracy x

Back
Top Bottom