My chicken stopped laying!?

EKAUFF

Hatching
Oct 16, 2017
Hello! I'm new to this site, but have been reading threads and find them very helpful. I have three backyard chickens that are about 7 months old. They started laying eggs several weeks ago and I changed them to laying feed at that time. Two of them produce an egg almost every day. The third chicken was laying once a day but produced a VERY large egg about 3-4 weeks ago and hasn't laid an egg since then. The egg was almost too large to fit in the egg carton. They are all eating, drinking, and acting normal. Is it possible that she injured herself when she laid the giant egg? Is there something I should do to facilitate her laying again? Thanks in advance for your help.

Laying eggs is a real drain on the hen's system, and their proper feed keeps them ready for their job. Laying that huge egg really was a stress on her, and could indicate a malfunction of ovary, shell gland, that may naturally correct. Just keep her well fed, and Oystershell available free choice. She may be just fine in a few weeks. Forget about medications. She is not sick, just needs time to recover from that huge egg drain on her system. Not all hens are created equal, and truly some are not great layers--most are! Good luck

Would changing the deep litter screw up egg production for a few days? We've had approximately 2-3 eggs per day out of our five hens. The day after the change in litter we had 3 (Monday), but nothing since. Thoughts?

Edited to add: Apparently complaining got things moving again. I just went outside and for the first time ever we have four eggs!

Last edited:
Yeah!!!

Have you considered using the sand method in the coop? No more changing out the liter. Just sift the poop out and dispose. :)

I use sand in the nesting boxes too. Chickens, ducks, and turkeys love it.

They eat the sand for grit when needed. And they've been known to use the sand for a dust bath. :)

Back
Top Bottom