My Chicken Tractor.

Snortch

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Cullman, Alabama
I made it out of old 2x4s from a shed I tore down a few years ago. It has a top area that provides shade over the nest boxes and can be raised on hinges to allow me to collect the eggs and get the feeder and waterer for refilling. The way I made the wheels be able to raise and lower the tractor works much better than I was expecting! I have 2 handles on the other end and it's a simple matter to lift and move it.

Here is how the wheels work.

Down

Up!

Last edited:
I just found these forums today, looks like a great place to learn about backyard chickens! I have never tried to raise any before, so this will be a great reference of I have problems.

Well, it seems to be fairly dog-proof...there are a bunch of dogs that roam the neighborhood, even though Alabama has a leash law. I looked out after I got out of the shower, tonight, and saw 2 out there, one was really pawing at the wire. A quick pop of ratshot from my pistol (don't worry, I was at least 100 feet away and I didn't aim right at them) hopefully taught them to stay away. The chicken wire was distorted, but the way I wrapped it around the 2x4s top and bottom with staples held.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as how to make it completely dog-proof? I am to much of an animal lover to actually shoot the dogs. I'm thinking an added layer of stronger wire over the chicken wire.

Last edited:
Well, it seems to be fairly dog-proof...there are a bunch of dogs that roam the neighborhood, even though Alabama has a leash law. I looked out after I got out of the shower, tonight, and saw 2 out there, one was really pawing at the wire. A quick pop of ratshot from my pistol (don't worry, I was at least 100 feet away and I didn't aim right at them) hopefully taught them to stay away. The chicken wire was distorted, but the way I wrapped it around the 2x4s top and bottom with staples held.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as how to make it completely dog-proof? I am to much of an animal lover to actually shoot the dogs. I'm thinking an added layer of stronger wire over the chicken wire.

I have something similar that lacks wheels that is a lot of work to move. To make more dog resistant I have my dog running about.

They say hardware fabric is more predator proof than chicken wire. You could leave a foot of the fabric skirting around the tractor so dogs can't dig right at the container.

What are you using for nesting boxes? Is that them in yellow?

I think it's a great tractor! If you want it to be more predator proof consider using hardware cloth instead of chicken wire. Chicken wire is great for keeping chickens IN, but almost useless against aggressive predators like dogs, raccoons, etc. HTH!

Hardware cloth is stronger.... but to truly dog proof it you can use hot wire. one of those that run off the sun a couple of insulators around the base with wire to carry the charge. One Zap and that dog wont touch it again.

Hardware cloth is stronger.... but to truly dog proof it you can use hot wire. one of those that run off the sun a couple of insulators around the base with wire to carry the charge. One Zap and that dog wont touch it again.

Show a picture of how to setup hotwire. I normally do not use such around structures; mobile or otherwise, but will give it a go.

Snortch, thanks for sharing your wheel photos! I think I may actually be able to copy them. Please tell me if this is what I am seeing: You have drilled three holes in a 2 X 4, one for the handle, one through the frame attaching it to the 2 X 4, and one for the wheel itself. Am I missing anything?

Definitely cover your chicken wire with hardware cloth. A coon could get in there easily.

I didn't realize there was a state-wide leash law. If it exists in my county, I don't think it's enforced.

Last edited:
My structure in oporation for 4 years which is very similar to OP although not as well constructed and has the low grade chicken coop wire instead of. Coons have not been an issue owing to proximity of a dog and the fact the coons do not have enough time to rip / chew through wire before dog interrupts them. With some parties, this may be worth considering.

Back
Top Bottom