my chicken was attacked! I need some advice.

lovinTheBirds89

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 2, 2014

I found one rooster dead and the other seriously injured. It looks like most of the injury is to his head. His comb was mostly ripped off. His entire head is swollen and he can't open his eyes because of the swelling. I need some advice on how to help.I have cleaned it the best that I could but I'm not sure on how to wrap it without hendering his ability to eat. it anyone knows of a medication that I could give him to help with the pain,swelling and infection please let me know.

Last edited:
Does he eat and drink at all? The feed stores around me sell a medication called Neo-Chlor which is a general antibiotic. Even if that particular medication isn't there, there will probably be another one, look for one that says broad spectrum or anything that indicates general use. I'm sorry nobody has answered you for 2 days. Has he improved?

Thank you for the advice. I will look into it tomorrow. He hasn't eaten anything. I have gotten him to drink a little bit of water. The swelling has gone down a bit But the dead tissue is starting to smell awful. I have removed what I could, it almost seems endless. I'm starting to feel like it's just going to get worse and worse.

This might sound cruel but I would completely dub his comb and wattles, put some flour on it for the bleeding, you could use tylan 50 or tylan 200 as an antibiotic also

His wattles are in pretty good shape. It just his comb That I'm having trouble with. I thought about just removing it but I'm not comfortable doing that kind of thing.

If you won't remove the whole thing, I think you still have to cut off some healthy flesh to help stop the rest from dieing, like how doctors will amputate more than just the afflicted area to stop the spread.

If you won't remove the whole thing, I think you still have to cut off some healthy flesh to help stop the rest from dieing, like how doctors will amputate more than just the afflicted area to stop the spread.

He will likely heal as he is but the scaring may interfere with the functioning of his eye lids etc. I have dubbed 1,000s of roosters it is a very simple operation and has so little effect on the bird that I often fed his waddles, earlobes, and comb back to him. (cut up in small pieces) Chicken blood is the worlds champion at clotting, I never had one of the 1,000s of birds I helped dub die from dubbing or an infection or even remember one that was sick. Dubbing is often preformed on straight comb breeding stock to keep the roosters from injuring themselves on metal feed troughs which can bring on cannibalistic behavior. How he will behave now that he is torn up and sore may be more problematic but I doubt that he will suffer from a good clean dubbing. If you use scissors he may register some displeasure from the pinching action of the blades. If you know what your doing a razor sharp knife is the way to go. It won't take over 15 seconds or so for two people to do it. One to hold the bird and another to play be part of the Mohel.

I can assure you that chicken flesh heals best if it is left exposed to the air, just keep an eye on him. PS: don't get anything like Blue Kote in his eyes.

Last edited:
He will likely heal as he is but the scaring may interfere with the functioning of his eye lids etc.  I have dubbed 1,000s of roosters it is a very simple operation and has so little effect on the bird that I often fed his waddles, earlobes, and comb back to him. (cut up in small pieces) Chicken blood is the worlds champion at clotting, I never had one of the 1,000s of birds I helped dub die from dubbing or an infection or even remember one that was sick.  Dubbing is often preformed on straight comb breeding stock to keep the roosters from injuring themselves on metal feed troughs which can bring on cannibalistic behavior.  How he will behave now that he is torn up and sore may be more problematic but I doubt that he will suffer from a good clean dubbing.  If you use scissors he may register some displeasure from the pinching action of the blades. If you know what your doing a razor sharp knife is the way to go.  It won't take over 15 seconds or so for two people to do it.  One to hold the bird and another to play be part of the Mohel.

I can assure you that chicken flesh heals best if it is left exposed to the air, just keep an eye on him.  PS: don't get anything like Blue Kote in his eyes.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who favors dubbing

Back
Top Bottom