My chicken won't eat anything, and she won't move or walk!

I have a 3 month old polish hen that is not eating or walking as of this morning. If she did walk, she walked with a limp. She would just lay down after a couple of steps... Im not home at the moment to cook her comb....She ate a couple bites of grain but that was it.
Well, I'm glad your not home, you certainly don't want to cook her comb! :lau
(sorry, I just can't help myself)

I'm sorry she is not doing well.
What do you normally feed her?
Do you remember if her crop was empty or full this morning?

With a pullet that young it could be a number of things, so try to examine her when you have time. Get a good look at her poop and re check the legs/feet.
Photos of her and her poop may also be helpful.

Is she picked on at all? Crested birds can sometimes have a hard time with others, so she may not have been eating/drinking well.
Sadly, she is about the right age to have Marek's disease show up as well, this is something to consider.

Poultry vitamins won't hurt. If at all possible, collect a stool sample for testing, that would help rule out worms and coccidiosis.

With a pullet that young it could be a number of things, so try to examine her when you have time. Get a good look at her poop and re check the legs/feet.

Is she picked on at all? Crested birds can sometimes have a hard time with others, so she may not have been eating/drinking well.
Sadly, she is about the right age to have Marek's disease show up as well, this is something to consider.

Poultry vitamins won't hurt. If at all possible, collect a stool sample for testing, that would help rule out worms and coccidiosis.

She isn't really picked on other than they seem to be detrmining their pecking order.
Here is a couple of pictures. Her poo is yellow and very runny. She keeps making her way to the vent. I closed it in fear it would be too cold blowing right on her. I did manage to get her to drink some water, but all she is doing is sleeping. I don't want to lose her.
20181011_152604.jpg
20181011_152555.jpg
20181011_152546.jpg

She also appears to be losing quite a few feathers from underneath. It may be that im not used to having one in my home.

She isn't really picked on other than they seem to be detrmining their pecking order.
Here is a couple of pictures. Her poo is yellow and very runny. She keeps making her way to the vent. I closed it in fear it would be too cold blowing right on her. I did manage to get her to drink some water, but all she is doing is sleeping. I don't want to lose her. View attachment 1558034 View attachment 1558035 View attachment 1558036

Lee what ever happened to this hen. My girl is the SAME exact way right now and her poop looks the same. I don't know what to do with her. I spoon feed her 2 times a day.

Lee what ever happened to this hen. My girl is the SAME exact way right now and her poop looks the same. I don't know what to do with her. I spoon feed her 2 times a day.
@StephC28 Hopefully Lee with get back with on the questions you have.
Can you give more information -
How old is your hen?
When did she last lay an egg?
Is her crop empty in the morning?
Have you added any chickens within the last 30days?
Have you checked to see if she has any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?

I'm sorry she is not doing well. How long has she been sick?

@StephC28 Hopefully Lee with get back with on the questions you have.
Can you give more information -
How old is your hen?
When did she last lay an egg?
Is her crop empty in the morning?
Have you added any chickens within the last 30days?
Have you checked to see if she has any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid in the abdomen?

I'm sorry she is not doing well. How long has she been sick?
She has been like this for over a week now. As soon as I noticed her behavior I separated her. She will be 1 on Monday. No changes at all in terms of food, housing or flock. These girls have been together since day 1. She has not layed an egg for 2 weeks now. She is definitely losing weight as I can feel her breast bone. She sleeps all day and night and does not move. It's heart breaking to see her like this.i have a security camera on her so any time she moves I get alerted and it records so I know for sure she is not eating or drinking at all. I am going to go today and get her some vitamins/electrolytes. :(

I took her to the vet twice. When my girl was sick, she also had an injured leg. She was placed on antibiotics, pain meds and was given a vitamin shot. She did improve but walks with a limp.
I was never given an answer to what was wrong with her. All the blood test and stool samples came back good.
The vet supposedly took care of chickens, but not one time did they do an xray.
I had to take her in twice and she was on medication for at least 2 months. But, she is alive and is a great house pet.
I'm sorry I couldn't help you. There are Facebook groups for every kind of bird. If you aren't able to take her to the vet, I strongly suggest finding a group that is based on the breed that she is. You can ask questions and show pictures. There are always others who have been through it and can help you.
Please let me know how she is.

One more thing. I was given a recipe for sick chickens. It was originally to help those who had rickets. But I truly believe that it helped my Minnie.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190328-090133_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190328-090133_Gallery.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 80

Back
Top Bottom