My chickens are addicted......

BubbaLikesIt

Songster
Feb 9, 2013
Addiction. It's hard to talk about. It's an ugly thing. My chickens have become.....how do I put it......mice eaters. It started slowly, and when you see a chicken gulp down a mouse, right then you know they are the direct descendants of dinosaurs. Mean ones. Now, these chickens actually hunt the mice. Searching the woodpile, around the feed buckets, they are obsessed with mice meat. What's next? Squirrels? Rabbit's?

You say this like it's a bad thing......
here's one of mine
a mouse.jpg

Attachments

• a mouse.jpg
    a mouse.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 4
Well, first of all, are you okay with them eating mice? (I personally feel bad for the poor little creatures) If you are okay with them eating mice, then just let them be, I guess. If not, try to steer them away from the woodpiles and the places mice like to hide. If your chickens find one, don't let them eat it. Try distracting them with "better" treats.
It's normal for chickens to eat mice, but you are right, your chickens do have an odd obsession for them. perhaps they are not getting enough protein in their diet???
Second, They won't be going after squirrels and rabbits. I imagine those critters are too big for them. :)

They can eat mice, I think it is sorta funny, though I feel bad for the mouse too. But I hate it when I find a poor little toad, dismembered and crushed by chicken beaks, or a big fat toad with a big hole in it's head from a hen. I love toads, and since they are becoming threatened in areas due to pesticides and crops, it's more important to me than ever for them to thrive. My chickens have killed mice, toads, snakes, and the ducks go after the squirrels and rabbits. I dunno why. When they see one hop into the yard they all waddle after it.

... and the ducks go after the squirrels and rabbits. I dunno why. When they see one hop into the yard they all waddle after it.

Heh! My bay mustang mare goes into a territorial fury if she sees rabbits near her hay. She about gave a big old jackrabbit a heart attack, chasing it out of the yard, a while back. Who needs dogs when they have a guardhorse? (Yeah, I also have four dogs... Horse does a better job.)

I like watching mine play keep away with a mouse.
Hard to feel bad for the mouse when it's natures way.
Mice are not in any way a threatened species. They are actually a nuicance pest and can pilfer your chickens feed and spread diseases.
I had a Ferret once and man did he love eating Rats.
That was nice as the rats pilfered a lot of chicken feed.
If a mouse ever means more to me than my chickens I would have to give up raising them for sure.

Back
Top Bottom