My Chickens are allergic to snow.

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
You should have seen the pileup the other day when the chickens realized the world was white! They eventually wandered out when the snow started to melt a little bit. So, today, with new snow, they are all hanging out in the henhouse.
sad.png
I feel bad for the low one/two in the pecking order.
sad.png
I know the door is open and they could 'escape,' but they don't. There are roosts too. But they do have to eat sometime. I feel bad for them.

Don't they will eventually get over it. I was surprised that they don't seem to get cold feet walking on ice and snow all day. Just make sure they have clean water and plenty to eat. Saturday morning was the first snow to stick to the ground and there was a huge pile up going out the door that morning. The first five to go out were quick to change thier minds and caused a reverse stampede.
smile.png

Mine never got over it last winter. Imp was out shoveling paths through the snow for them.
hmm.png

Who's training who here?

Imp- Hoping for a rainy winter this year.

Ours were so funny in their first snow last winter. We put up snow boards on the run to cut down on fierce winds and drifting, and I learned to scatter dry bedding out there for their widdle feet. They love the cold from the ankles up, I wish I had booties fot them though. Platforms help, or temporary throw-downs of flakes of straw.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-seasonal-concerns

Back
Top Bottom