My Chickens are ALSO Roosting on the Floor

RowanTheRed

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Upstate South Carolina
I have seen a few threads lately about this very thing, but I have yet to see a reason given. So I am going to add my story to the list.

My chickens, 6 hens and 2 roos that are 7 months old now, have recently started roosting on the coop floor all in the same corner for the most part. The coop is pretty big, I think it is 8x10 or 10x12, and they have 3 perches up high that up until now they used. One is over 6 foot long, one is about 5 foot and the smaller one is about 4 foot. The same 3 chickens normally roost on the shorter one together and the other 5 generally roost on the middle sized one together. At the beginning of last week I found 7 of them huddled in a corner together when I went to "tuck" them in for the night. It was around 8 just after I got home from work. Normally they would have all been roosting up high when I get home. Only the dominant roo is in his normal location, even the other roo is on the floor with then girls.

Here are photos of the coop so you can see that they have more than adequate space...
20170610_191614.jpg

20171116_161624.jpg

20171116_161724.jpg

20171116_161642.jpg

This is the corner they huddle together in.

Here are some of the things I have noticed that I think might be adding to the change in behavior.
  1. on my days off from work I am home all day and keep the "chicken" door as well as the big door open so that the coop can air out. But on the days that I work only the small "chicken" door is open so this means that there is much less light in the coop when they head in for the night.
  2. In addition to this, it has been getting pretty cold here at night so we have closed the peep window on the big door to cut down on the draft and cross breeze because it is direct line with where they are roosting. I still keep the back window cracked though so they have enough fresh air venting in the coop. But by keeping the peep window closed, this also means the light coming in is significantly decreased. The back of the coop is about 8 feet in front of some big Leland Cyprus trees and is on south facing side so there is little to no light that gets in from this window.
  3. On my days home when the coop is all opened up, they are going to the roosts as normal. It is only on the days that I am not home when the coop is essentially dark that they are huddling on the floor.
So my thought is that because of the time change it is much darker now earlier than it has been and with both the big door and the peep window being closed they are coming in to a much darker coop that normal and either that scared them or they can't see well enough to navigate the jump up to the roosts?

What do you think?

Attachments

• 20170610_191614.jpg
    20170610_191614.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 4
Firstly, your chicken coop is beautiful and so spacious.
The light decrease may be the issue but I doubt it as my hens will go in as the sun was setting so they had enough time to find their spots. Also try using plexiglass to block the breeze, that way the light is still let in.

Last edited:
It does sound like the lighting is an issue, as the chickens are going in while it's still light enough for them to see outside, but it's too dark inside.

Really lovely coop! The addition of more windows (for both light and additional ventilation, so you won't have to leave the big door open) would help fix your problem. Or if you have electricity out in the coop you could add a bulb on a timer, adjusting it to keep up with the shortening daylight hours. Or as Brahma Chicken noted above, try plexiglass or some other covering over the windows to allow some light in.

Your coop is lovely, but it is seriously lacking in lighting and ventilation. I would cut in at least 2 more windows, not on the same wall. Hinge them from the top, so they open out. That way, they will shed rain/snow. Be sure to cover the window openings with 1/2" hdw. cloth to keep out predators.

The placement of your roof strapping would preclude you from using soffit vents. Perhaps you could put a gable vent in the front where your sign is, and open the window at the back gable (w/hdw cloth for safety)

Finally, the birds may be refusing to perch b/c the perches are wobbly. Using tree branches is a resourceful use of materials, but, if not firmly secured, the birds may choose not to use them. Also, do a close inspection of the coop at night to be sure you don't have a red mite infestation.

Thanks for your replies. I agree, I think it is definitely the lighting or actually the lack of it.

I was home the last 2 nights and had the big door open and they were back to the roost as usual :), tomorrow I won't be home until after 8 so I am betting I find them huddled in the corner on the ground again

Could you put a dim light on a timer, have it come on at 5pm and you could turn it off when you got home or have it go off at 9 or something.

Agrees.... nice coop but needs more windows for light and ventilation, as well as winter ventilation.

Could you put a dim light on a timer, have it come on at 5pm and you could turn it off when you got home or have it go off at 9 or something.

Agrees.... nice coop but needs more windows for light and ventilation, as well as winter ventilation.

Unfortunately there is no electricity out there. I have thought about a small solar setup but haven't done anything other than briefly look into it.

As far as more windows, there are 2 windows in the coop, and the 2 doors. The roofline is very low so there isn't really anywhere to add any windows. Other than the doors and windows, there is a small gap between the roofline and the walls that also allows for a bit more ventilation

Unfortunately there is no electricity out there. I have thought about a small solar setup but haven't done anything other than briefly look into it.

As far as more windows, there are 2 windows in the coop, and the 2 doors. The roofline is very low so there isn't really anywhere to add any windows. Other than the doors and windows, there is a small gap between the roofline and the walls that also allows for a bit more ventilation
You could use a small battery operated puck light.

You may need way more ventilation come summer...unless coop is in full shade all day and your insulation is very efficient. (Looks like walls and roof have foam panels?)
"there is a small gap between the roofline and the walls" might be able to open that more, gable vents, cupola, low windows...lots of options to think about doing in spring.

Back
Top Bottom