My Chickens are dropping like flies please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cmcdow, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Cmcdow

Cmcdow New Egg

Feb 13, 2008
    I have been losing my 3 month old pullets like crazy. They first show signs of a "cold". Eyes foamy and watery then close, plugged nostrils, puffy face, puffed up feathers, general appearance is one of not feeling well. They appear to be sleeping quite a bit or at least their head will kind of droop forward accompanied by yellowish poop. I have a Poultry Heatly Book and they could have so many of the diseases in there. But I'm leaning toward Chronic Respiratory Disease. I got all these chicks and have spent a lot of time and money on them and am just sick about this. I have lost probably 6 or so by now and there a 3 more that look like they're right behind them. I am treating them with Sulfur medication recomended by the feed store. However, it is obviously not working. Please give me some advice that will help my little girls make it! I have beautiful, Speckled Sussex, Golden Lace Wyandottes and Silver Lace Wyandottes, Butter cups, All kinds of Cochins and Brown Leghorns.

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    I agree it sounds like respiratory disease. Separate the healthy ones from the sick ones. I don't know how to help them but apparenty you have looked it up so do what the article says! I hope some one comes along that can help you... good luck.

3. blue90292

blue90292 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Rosharon, TX
    i believe sulfer medication is for cocci. for respitory, you need antibiotics. i believe it's two teaspoons to a gallon of water first 2 days, one teaspoon 5 days after. but make sure and check on that.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by