My chickens are dying.. advice??

JulieGentry2009

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 7, 2011
So far, I haven't lost any roosters.. only hens.. First I notice my hens eyes closed.. it almost seems like they are a little crusty around the eyelids.. I took my neices pet chicken inside and put a warm, wet rag on her eyes and that opened them but there is kind of a greenish goop over her eyeballs.. I also notice that when I pick up the sick chicken she has NO breast meat what so ever.. I lose at least two chickens a week to whatever this is.. does anyone have a clue? Thanks for the help.
smile.png

Are they rattle-y? Discharge from the eyes/nose/mouth is common in respiratory issues.

It seems like a fungal problem, NO anti-biotics! they will make it worse. My advise would be Olive leaf extract, or Grapefruit seed extract, and their food should be plain yogurt, no ultra-pasteurized stuff.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your loss. I, too, lost a hen this morning. Her name was Sadie and she was my favorite:(

Last week I noticed she was favoring her right leg. So, I separated her for a day and she rested. She appeared to quickly recover, although there was still a little limp. Last night they all went to coop after free ranging and this morning she is dead. Boy this is a sad day for me too.

Thanks for the help.. yes, they get a bit rattley.. sounds like they have trouble breathing.. right when they are about to die.. But I don't understand why it feels like they have NO breast meat...?
What can I do to get rid of the respitory problem?

Back
Top Bottom