My chickens are eating feathers! Yikes!

I've seen my girls grab those downy feathers they lose whenever they float around. They will grab and gobble ANYTHING floating lol. I was worried at first, but learned it won't hurt them.

What feed are you feeding them ? I used to feed Purina chick starter for years. A few years back I started having picking problems in my young birds. This was about the same time they switched to their all plant protien recipe. It took me a couple years to make the connection. Switched to meat based protien starter, and have not had a problem since.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yet anouther reason to stay away from Purina. My chickens hate that stuff and I had problem after problem with their health and feather picking was getting out of control. I switched back to the Kent 16% layer and that cured all their problems. I'll never give them that Purina crap ever again.

so if a chicken picks up a random feather that has been on the ground fora while and no where near chasing another chicken and eating it purposely is ok then i do not need to worry?

but if i they go eating feathers on purpose than i have a problem

my pullets eat the random feathers but i think it is taste and try and if they don't like it they don't do it again

can do the egg pealing thing but maybe not the sunflower stuff

tongue.png
. Wow! I had no idea they would do that! We had a coyote come in this morning and eat a chicken right in the yard!! Leaving a pile of feathers behind. Well this afternoon the feathers are clean gone!

I guarantee that it is not a lack of protein! Feathers are made out of calcium if any thing they need calcium. My chickens eat calcium dusted chicken feed gut loaded live crickets (lots of protein, calcium, nutrients, and fun) they still eat there feathers. As long as they are not pulling them out(if they are check for Mites or lice) they are just fine, and most likely have no Deficiencys. Hope this helps you!!

Quote:
I guarantee that it is not a lack of protein! Feathers are made out of calcium if any thing they need calcium

OK? Where did you get this information from, do you have a resource for your clam?
The last I checked Feathers where mostly Protein and very little Calcium.

"Raw" Feather Meal -

Dry matter - 92 %
Crude Protein - 85.0%
Fat - 03.0 %
Crude fiber - 03.0 %
Acid Detergent Fiber - 16.2 %
Calcium - 0.45 %
Phosphorus - 0.31 %
Total Digestible Nutrients - 63.0 %
Net energy—Lactation - 64.0 Mcal/100 lbs

Chris​

Last edited:
There are a few things that will cause poultry to eat feathers,
There feed is lacking in Protein,
There feed is lacking in Animal based Protein,
Mites or Lice,
Boredom

Dust your birds and then try supplementing with some high protein game bird feed. One that is around 20% to 22% protein and that contains Animal Proteins in it.

Chris

Last edited:
Chris09 maybe you should research your information first you said
""Raw" Feather Meal"
That is not the same thing as a feather all the hard parts of a feathers are made up of calcium so check into it!!!
Most people are saying protein because during the molt they are told to add protein but they molt to replenish calcium deposits in there body and proteins help there body with stress that is chaused because of this!!! It's not a protein problem it's calcium or just bordem... If they are not pulling the feathers out don't worry give them treats or scratch to keep busy and add oyster shell to diet!!!
Have fun my keyboard warriors!!!

Can't speak to calcium versus protein, but a few weeks back I had a feather picking issue. Had to separate one due to injury from it. Someone suggested game bird with higher protein, it worked well. I thought my second flock was doomed to canabalism with all the peckiing and feather eating, but improved greatly wit mix of higher protein. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom