My chickens are eating feathers! Yikes!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChicksR4Me, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    It's not unusual for chickens to eat feathers. Some feeds actually have feathers in them.

2. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    ya'll probably think i'm crazy but I've already got them on the stove. 4 min left on the timer. The only thing is I wasn't quite sure when to start the 14 minutes. I had the water boiling hard when I started to put the eggs in. None cracked but the water stopped boiling from putting the cold eggs in. So I wasn't sure when to start timming.. so i waited till the water was almost up to boil before setting the timer. Hope that works!

Can't wait to eat pickled eggs and I will crush up some for the birdies too..non pickled of course.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    That should work just fine!!! Happy peeling!!

Edited to add: Chickens love pickled eggs!! They get all the leftovers from my test recipes!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  4. ChicksR4Me

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    OH YEAH!! It worked like a charm! Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have 3 dozen perfectly peeled eggs in a gallon container with beets now!

Before I would put the eggs in the cold water before boiling. Once up to boil I would boil for 8 minutes and they would always be cooked all the way through. So putting them in already boiling water and boiling for 14 minutes are the two differences and my 17 year old daughter is as thrilled as I am. ! She's a pickled eggaholic.

Thanks again!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

well,,, you get the idea! lol

5. ChicksR4Me

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Now we just have to be patient and wait for about a week for them to be ready to eat.
    [​IMG]

6. Lil_Chickadee

Lil_Chickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    WV
    I need a way to organize all the good information on this forum. Suggestions anyone. I already have so many bookmarks it's getting funny. [​IMG]

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:You're very welcome!!! Glad it worked for you!

8. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't read the whole thread...so excuse me if I'm repeating info.

Give them sunflower seeds....it has melanine, or melthione, or something like that in it that chickens can't find in nature easily. It's cruitial for good feather growth....and if they can't find it, the first thing they do is to start eating feathers.

Try it....it's cured all my feather eating rescues in a day.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  9. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I give my hens boiled eggs every time we have deviled eggs. I "accidently" miss cut some so they get them. Maybe they should try some egg!

10. MidCityCommunityGarden

MidCityCommunityGarden New Egg

Jun 19, 2010
    My chicken are eating their feathers, saw it today. The have little red behinds..... What should i do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by