My chickens are losing weight and dying! Please help!

Markoante12

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
Hello,

My wyandottes are currently affected but before my araucana rooster died and few silkies, they are around 5 months old and they are a lot thinner then others, they are usually just staying in corners, calm, not intersted just standing with head tucked in, they are eating normally like others but still losing weight, they are having this symptoms for few weeks now, poop looks normal but as disease progresses it starts to stick to their butt, they are growing weaker and weaker every day until they cant stand anymore and after few days they are dying. they are losing strength also and coordination in process. on example when they are "fighting" for food if others push them they fall down on their back. Their face is also changing color from redish to brownish purpleish color. does anyone know what is wrong and how can I help them?

Attachments

• 20210808_121622.jpg
    20210808_121622.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210808_121551.jpg
    20210808_121551.jpg
    559 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210808_121615.jpg
    20210808_121615.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 32
You've likely got a disease or parasites (internal and/or external) moving through the flock. Where are you located in the world? What have your temperatures and amount of rain been in the last week or so? Have any of these birds been treated for any diseases/parasites recently or ever? Have they been vaccinated against Mareks? Do you have access to electrolytes and vitamins for chickens? Do you have access to de-worming medications? How about Corid, for treatment of Coccidiosis?

Start with a thorough external examination of ALL the birds. You're looking for bugs (lice, mites, and even fleas) on their skin, so look closely around their vents, look on the scaly portion of their legs and where their legs meet their body, their wings, and where the wing meets the body, then up around the neck, head, and mouth area. You're also looking for potential injuries - just be thorough. Sometimes a flashlight helps to see mites/lice while you're looking.

The birds are clearly in distress now, so making sure they stay hydrated and get some nourishment is going to be important TODAY and over the coming days. Try, if you can, to keep them away from the heat too. Are you able to hand feed and hand water them?

I'm going to tag a few folks that are experienced in treating birds with health issues like you're experiencing too:

@azygous @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @dawg53 @aart @casportpony

Last edited:
Where are you located in the world?
Do you have other chicks the same age that are in the same pen that are thriving?
The chicks that have died, were they vaccinated for Marek's?

Photos of poop?

Do look them over for lice/mites, but I would think that all would be affected.
Getting a fecal float is a good idea to see if internal parasites are an issue.

What do you feed?

Since you have lost a few in a short time, it would be a good idea to consider sending a bird for testing/necropsy.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Last edited:
As my friends have already asked, where are you located? This tells us a lot, and it helps us help you.

Do you have a university lab there that you could take a fecal sample for analysis? This would tell you what parasites may be draining the health from your chickens or if a bacterial infection is responsible. We can't run those tests from out her in the internet so we could only guess what might be going on.

Right now, mix up some sugar water with about a tea spoon of sugar to a cup of water and give it to your chickens to raise their glucose and perhaps give them more energy to eat.

Location is the question you must answer or we can't really help you. Also, please answer all the questions the others have asked.

It is time to send a fresh body of one who has died into your state vet for a necropsy (autopsy.) It sounds like something contagious, but check your feed for any mold or funny odor. If in doubt, toss it and get new. Do you normally worm your chickens? What do they eat? Are any molting? Sorry for your loss.

It could be parasites, have you seen any worms in their poop? You can take fresh droppings to any vet for a float test to see if there are any parasites you can't see. I'm not sure what other illnesses would cause this. Are they having any other symptoms?
they have no other symtomps just slowly losing weight, strenght and dying, I did not see anything in poop or on their skin

Where are you located in the world? What have your temperatures and amount of rain been in the last week or so? Have any of these birds been treated for any diseases/parasites recently or ever? Have they been vaccinated against Mareks? Do you have access to electrolytes and vitamins for chickens? Do you have access to de-worming medications? How about Corid, for treatment of Coccidiosis?
I forgot to mention but I am from Croatia, there are extremly high temperetures (90-100f) and no rain here and chickens are usually treated inhumanely here so I tried going to vet and he gave me antibiotic for Coccidiosis and said that I kill them if it doesnt help, and it didnt so I asked for help here, I checked birds fully and there is no signs of lice or anything on their skin and in poop, I feed them with mix of grains, vegetables and premade mix for laying hens, I cant keep them out of heat but they are in shade and have fresh water and food all the time tommorow I will try going to vet to ask for worm medications if we have them here and I will try, and I will ask if I can bring if one dies for autopsy

This is how their poop look like, when it starts to stick to their butt like this it is bad sign usually they die after 5-7 days, if worm medication doesnt work I will bring this one for analysis, thanks for help

Attachments

• 20210808_163733.jpg
    20210808_163733.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210808_163524.jpg
    20210808_163524.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210808_163520.jpg
    20210808_163520.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210808_163530.jpg
    20210808_163530.jpg
    429.5 KB · Views: 29
For worming in your country albendazole or levamisole may be available. Albendazole is given orally, while levamisole is put into the water. In the UK many use flubendazole or flubenvet in the feed for 7 days.

Something like fowl cholera might be a problem if it is not coccidiosis. Sulfa antibiotics, such as sulfamethazine, sulfadimethoxine, and others available from a vet can treat coccidiosis and fowl cholera. Hopefully, you can stop the deaths.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom