My chickens are losing weight and dying! Please help!

5 months old

I feed them with mix of grains, vegetables and premade mix for laying hens

Do you have other chicks the same age that are in the same pen that are thriving?
What is the premade mix for laying hens (a photo of the ingredient label would be good).
How long have the chicks been eating that?
Have you used the premix when raising chicks before and they did well?

Please - do you have other chicks the same age in the same pen that are thriving?

What is the premade mix for laying hens (a photo of the ingredient label would be good).
Noticed that too and nearly questioned it, but with you on the thread, I figured you'd hit it :)

Almost certainly worms.
Hello,

My wyandottes are currently affected but before my araucana rooster died and few silkies, they are around 5 months old and they are a lot thinner then others, they are usually just staying in corners, calm, not intersted just standing with head tucked in, they are eating normally like others but still losing weight, they are having this symptoms for few weeks now, poop looks normal but as disease progresses it starts to stick to their butt, they are growing weaker and weaker every day until they cant stand anymore and after few days they are dying. they are losing strength also and coordination in process. on example when they are "fighting" for food if others push them they fall down on their back. Their face is also changing color from redish to brownish purpleish color. does anyone know what is wrong and how can I help them?

Assuming the cause is worms, you can save them if you get them a dewormer soon. Where do you plan to buy your dewormer in Croatia? I suppose if you ask your vet for a dewormer he will have one. If the vet is no help, check at a pharmacy or farm supply if you can buy Ivermectin 1%.

I use Ivermectin 1% all the time here in Peru. I buy over the counter at a vet supply store for $2, and two drops in their beak kills the worms overnight, as I can see piles of worms in their morning droppings. I have given Ivermectin for dogs, for bovines, for horses it is all the same, I even take it myself occassionally when I start feeling ill for health benefits.

Please - do you have other chicks the same age in the same pen that are thriving?

They have been eating that since they were born first one for 0-21 days then 21-42 and now they are eating adults one with others all other ones are eating that and they are thriving and growing normally,label is not on english so you would not understand but it is mixture of vitamins, proteins and minerals recommend for chickens thats the only one you can buy here and there was no problems with it ever.
For worming in your country albendazole or levamisole may be available. Albendazole is given orally, while levamisole is put into the water. In the UK many use flubendazole or flubenvet in the feed for 7 days.

Something like fowl cholera might be a problem is it is not coccidiosis. Sulfa antibiotics, such as sulfamethazine, sulfadimethoxine, and others available from a vet canntreat coccidiosis and fowl cholera. Hopefully, you can stop the deaths.

thank you I got dewormer from vet and I bought also antibiotic with sulfadimethoxine, he said you can use it together so I gave them that today, if this one does not work I will get the one you mentioned, just one question if anyone knows how will I know if dewormer worked and they will be cured ?

Attachments

• 20210809_161257.jpg
    20210809_161257.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210809-202715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210809-202715_Gallery.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 6
The piperazine and sulfadimethoxine are good to use. Piperazine is good for roundworms and cecal worms. The sulfa antibiotic will help if it is coccidiosis or fowl cholera. Hopefully, they will start to improve. Probiotics which include plain yogurt can help after treatment.

They have been eating that since they were born first one for 0-21 days then 21-42 and now they are eating adults one with others all other ones are eating that and they are thriving and growing normally,label is not on english so you would not understand but it is mixture of vitamins, proteins and minerals recommend for chickens thats the only one you can buy here and there was no problems with it ever.

thank you I got dewormer from vet and I bought also antibiotic with sulfadimethoxine, he said you can use it together so I gave them that today, if this one does not work I will get the one you mentioned, just one question if anyone knows how will I know if dewormer worked and they will be cured ?
You will see a lot of dead worms passing in their poop but if they are microscopic parasites, you would only tell by the chickens having an improvement like perking up and being more active, and you will start to see weight gain usually 1-2 weeks after treatment is finished but keep in mind it can take longer to gain all their weight back.

Back
Top Bottom