My Chickens are on Strike!??

Scissors65

Songster
May 8, 2019
Palmetto, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I moved my two new 6 week old pullets in the chicken run a week ago. They are in their own cage inside the run. My 3 one year old hens are now on Egg Strike! They laid all year and all winter...now nadda! Nothing...ziltch for 4 days! My white Leghorn sleeps and lays next to the pullets cage. I have two New Hamphires, one which jumps up and trys to peck the chicks when I remove them to bring into the house at night. I made a small escape door for the pullets, that I planned on opening under watchful eye after a week, but now I am afraid to do it. Any suggestions? Tips? Experience like this? I know chickens can stop laying due to stress but come on...does it have to be during an egg shortage? 😟

Any suggestions? Tips? Experience like this?
First, how big is your run?
Pics would help with suggestions.

But these tips might help....

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

First, how big is your run?
Pics would help with suggestions.

But these tips might help....

Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better. Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/
Thanks for all the information! I will add some photos.

IMG_20200414_162331.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200414_162345.jpg
    IMG_20200414_162345.jpg
    874.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200414_162354.jpg
    IMG_20200414_162354.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20200414_162408.jpg
    IMG_20200414_162408.jpg
    980.6 KB · Views: 9
Cute set up! Is there just one feeder in there (I see possibly 2? but not sure)? Glad to see you already have some clutter in there, might want to put in a couple temporary extras (whatever you might have lying around like empty flower pots, patio chair that isn't being used) but otherwise, all you can do is open the door and see what happens. Choose a time when you'll be able to keep an eye on things. Expect some chasing and pecking, but as long as it's not too severe (i.e. injury causing) I'd let them try sorting things out their own way.

Cute set up! Is there just one feeder in there (I see possibly 2? but not sure)? Glad to see you already have some clutter in there, might want to put in a couple temporary extras (whatever you might have lying around like empty flower pots, patio chair that isn't being used) but otherwise, all you can do is open the door and see what happens. Choose a time when you'll be able to keep an eye on things. Expect some chasing and pecking, but as long as it's not too severe (i.e. injury causing) I'd let them try sorting things out their own way.
I have a trendle feeder with pellets for the older gals, and the pullets have their own feeder with chick crumbles. Good idea about flower pots, I actually have one my Leghorn likes to jump into during their free range time, I don't know why I never thought of putting it in their run LOL. My New Hamphire girl started giving me an egg a day, they actually all deserve a rest.Wish me luck this weekend I will open the door for a bit and see what happens!

Back
Top Bottom